Fin distance to rail

What perfomance effects does changing the fin’s distance to raill have? I’m talking about the trailing edge (shapers dot).  Like, what would the difference in feel be changing from 1"  to 1-1/2"?

My guess is that closer to the edge will give more rail bite and hold, but maybe be stiffer?  Further in- you lose bite and ability to put board on rail, but  maybe it’s  looser on a fat wave?

Just wondering if anyone has gone through an iterative process to dtermone this- i.e., made identical boards but changed that one parameter.

Don’t know if the half inch matters much, but I’m pretty numb about the subtle things.

I’ve been putting my side fins 1.5 inches from the rail for a while. I prefer having them in a bit to give me a little more clearance. I’ve cut my foot and hands on the fins a few too many times. I’ve been wondering about the effects if I move them in to 2".

I think this was the last fin slice I got from a bad wipeout.

I hear you about that.  I have a set of Greg Griffin’s g10 fins.  I call them the sushi knives…

Yeah, I cut my hands twice with my Griffin boards, so I sanded the trailing edge a little.

I’ve been wondering about making a twin fin but placing fins further in from the rail, somewhere between what Neil Purchase does with the duo and a normal twin fin.

A couple of ???’s.  Are you only moving the rear trailing edge closer to the rail?  Or;  Are you moving the whole fin over?  Because if you are only moving the trailing edge;  You are really yukin’ Up your tow.  The effect could ruin a good board.

I move the whole fin in from the rail, but I use less toe and cant, about 3/16 to 1/8 toe for front fins, and I often don’t have any toe or cant on the rears. This is where the proboxes are so nice to use, I can have zero cant inserts or go all the way up to 8 degrees.