Fin doesn’t look right

Hi I’m working on this Hansen a buddy brought by, said the fin hummed. Obviously this wasn’t the original fin. It’s an 11” fin that’s super swept. I was thinking of cutting the portion off that hangs past the tail, I bet that’s the cause of the hum, and putting a Greenough template to it. Thoughts?

That board must be gigantic, it makes that jeep look like a toy!!!
The only time I’ve had a hum from fins was when they weren’t sanded cleanly and had imperfections in the resin …ok a small run that I didn’t sand out because I wanted to try the board out!!! If everything looks good on that front it could be the design?

Fin certainly looks long enough to have a strong harmonic frequency.

Fins hum and do it frequently because they don’t know the words.

2 Likes

don’t cut it, this is how real men set their fins. feel the trailing edge for any inconsistency and tune from there.

Hello, i don´t know much about longboards but i guess the middle of the base of the fin should be where your feet goes when turning.
But again its a longboard and people walk all over it so maybe it makes sense.
i imagine the way it is set now it will drag a bit but give a very nice drive i would even like to test-drive it.
cheers and good waves

Fins can “hum” for all different reasons - vibrations due to twangy tips (perhaps too thinly foiled?) - I’ve also been told can happen when the leading edge is a bit too knifey - I thought it was the trailing edge being the problem but I was corrected by someone in the industry the leading edge can be the issue - may want to blunt it a tiny bit w/ some 220 grit paper? Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Update on this fin that’s hung like Ron Jeremy , I’ve heard tip to tail never fail as a word of wisdom, cut it down… rode it still roared like a lion, foiled the shit out of it even more and not a peep out of it now.