Fin Graphics (How to do the different techniques)

Hi Everyone!
I’m am wanting to design/make some 10" longboard fins and was looking to find some detailed videos or written step by step guides on how to add my graphics to a fin.
I want to try and make them in 3 different ways.

1: Graphics in the middle of the fin (please see the 2 attached examples)
2: Graphics covering the whole outside of the fin (please see the 2 attached examples)
3: The old style multi colour way (please see the 2 attached examples)
(All attached images are for explanation purposes only, I have my own graphics I will use)

I am quite new to this and am specifically looking for info on what materials I should use, things to avoid and how to make each of these varieties (the different techniques/how to make and attach the bases/molds etc.). I have been through everything on Youtube and across the web and can’t find the info I need. I have wanted to attempt this for so many years and I have finally got the time to give it a go! If anybody could lend me their expertise it would be much appreciated!
Thanks very much and I hope you are all having a great week.
//TQ

The first picture: A panel is laid up with clear resin. Half the panel is laid up, then the printed fabric and then the second half is laid up on top.

Second picture: no clue

Third:. That is a panel laid up with multiple different colors. Takes forever and very difficult to do well. There is a thread here describing the process. But in short it involves hotcoat and sanding between each color.

Dave

Hi Dave Town, thanks for your quick reply. If I was going to make the fins from the first group “Graphics in the Middle”, I would need two molds and then either the fabric or rice paper design in the middle. Do you have any recommendations for fibreglass weights to keep the fin strong but not distract from the design in the middle?
I actually found a thread on here that was talking about the third group “Old Style Colourful” after I had posted this, sorry about that. The only problem was, none of the pictures worked and a lot of what was being said referred to what was in the pictures. Is the third group made in two halves also? If so, when semi transparent like in last picture, how do they get that to match the design on the opposite sides exactly? Thanks again Dave

I don’t understand what you mean by “mold”. I’ll explain the process for the first picture. And forgive me if you already know this.

You can use whatever weight of glass you want. If you are making fins for the traditional longboard box your panel will need to be 3/8" in thickness. If you use 7.5 oz then it is like 32 or 36 layers. 6oz is like a little more. To get the best graphics you need to laminate each layer 1 at a time. Squeegee the resin in the a bit on the wet side. Lay up the panel with less catalyst taking longer to cure. This will keep the heat down and keep your panel more clear. If you lay up 10 then wait for it to cool, then another 10 and so on. Place your fabric in the middle of your layers (layer 16 if you are doing 32 layers). And then finish the panel.

Once your panel is made you will need to cut out the fins with a jig saw. Use an “abrasive” blade. It looks more like rough sandpaper blade as opposed to teeth. Then you will have to cut in the 1° wedge in the base tab if you make it a removable fin to fit the box.

Then foil your fin.

For the last set of pictures…you need to preplan the look you want. Start with simple. Do a black, white and black panel. Then you with have the classic Oreo cookie look. After that you will be able to get more creative and refine your process.

Be well

Hiya Tommy,
Just FYI, Dave is a master fin maker, so listen closely to anything he says.
I, on the other hand, am not a master fin maker. I just wanted to suggest you make a few basic fins from start to finish before you get too carried away with graphics. After gaining a little first-hand experience, you’ll be able to understand much better how you can add color/graphics.
Just my 2 cents.

Hi Dave, Thanks again for your reply. By ‘mold’ i meant pre-making a mold from an existing surfboard fin and using it rather than foiling my own fin everytime. Similar to how they would do it on a commercial scale. It would need to be 2 molds, front and back side of the fin. I have a pretty good idea about the process of how to make and foil a standard fin but I would really like a more visual (pictures/video) guide to show me the details of how people do the graphics, what papers, inks they use etc. when laying graphics, both inside or wrapped around the fin. Separately, I am also interested in attempting to make a multicolour old style fin look and I appreciate you giving me your expert feedback on this process. I like the idea of starting with the Oreo look to get a better idea. Do you know of any photos or videos of the process that you could point me towards perhaps? Thanks again and I hope I am not being too confusing here. Kind regards//TQ

Hi mate, Thanks for your reply. I will be listening to Dave for sure! I have a pretty clear understanding of the actual fin/foiling process but it was more the details of about the graphics I was requiring. I was really hoping that out there on the www there would be some visual/video guides show how both inside and outside fin graphics are made, in a step by step guide. Stating stuff like, papers used, inks used, problems you may encounter etc. I have read as much as I can but im definitely more of a visual person when it comes to stuff like this. Once again thanks for your reply and have a great day! Kind regards//TQ

There aren’t any “How-to” videos of fin making that I know of. Every now and then a fin company will give an inside look into their own process. The Island Fin Design company has a great video about the company and it has a couple short shots of him working on fins.

https://vimeo.com/125964398

Gene Cooper is a deep well of knowledge and shares it. This video is full of great info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PscAPO-WGh0

I don’t know this for a fact but I have a strong assumption that fiberglass fin making is still underground in the sense of how it is done. Dating back long before my time people would not share their techniques with others due to others steeling their hard earned way of doing things and not treating it with respect. When it comes to board design the cat is out of the bag. Fin making is still a trade that people have to figure it out for themselves. Or find a confidant who will share the secret.

One last thing…if you are making fins for yourself they are expensive to do. If you are making fins to place in the stores with your logo on it…the margins are pretty tight. Stores only want to pay 50% of retail for your fin. That leaves little meat on the bone for your to say it is worth your time, tools and lungs. If you can develop a cult following and sell your fins online you get to keep $.90 of $1.00.

I don’t want to blow out your birthday candle on this project. I recommend this. Buy a whole roll of 7.5oz E glass and a 5gal bucket of Lam resin. This will cost approximately $5-600 to start but you will end up saving $$ after making several throw-away panels. Make your panels small, like 12’‘x12’'.

Be well,
Dave

Nobody uses molds for what you are trying to do. not even on a commercial scale. {save the little plastic RTM futures and fcs fins} but glass fins are made using panels of 6 ounce glass. it doesnt matter if you are doing one, or 1000.

truth…
but where you buying supplies damn?

I live in Bend, Oregon. Supplies were not easy to come by. I remember having to order rolls 2 at a time from Fiberglass HI and I think that got the price down to around $400/roll. Plus $100 or something for 5gal resin. Finding a way to get it to Bend was expensive. After a while Revchem started delivering to Bend from Portland once a week for $10 and that made a big difference.

Are you implying that there are less expensive options or that my prices were good? I could also be mis-remembering (kinda like wardrobe malfunction) my prices. It’s been a bit since I ordered.

Be well.

better options, but im in the hub of it all. Bend, i get it.

Thanks Dave! I wasn’t planning on doing it commercially but that is nice info to know. I just thought a mold would save me time in the foiling process if I decided to do more in the future. I understand people are wanting to hold onto their hard earned secrets! In my head i thought, for the multicoloured old style fin, I could have two half fin molds laying down flat and slowly fill them up with glass and colour layers of resin, sand them flat on the insides and glass them together, simple stuff. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like anyone is agreeing that this is the way to do it (though i still might attempt it just so i can rule it out for myself). I will check out the vids and let you know any thoughts, thanks mate!
Kind regards
//TQ

Hi Acqua_Glassing! Thanks for your reply. This is probably why i havent been able to fin any videos using this method. Is there any particular reason people dont use molds for making glass fins? Do you happen to know anything you can add to laying graphics either on the inside or around the outside of fins? Hope all is well and thanks again for your reply! kind regards//TQ

Tommy,
Even if you have mold-making skills and equipment…making a mold takes longer than making a fin and all you get to make with your hard-earned mold is the same fin over and over and over again with downtime in between each pour. If you are cutting blanks from panels you can make whatever you want in real time and you can make the next one almost the same or a little different or completely different than the last without the added work of a mold each time the design changes.

Hi Jrandy! Cheers for that advice mate, you make a good point! Perhaps the mold way isnt the best idea after all. Hope all is well and thanks again.
Kind regards
//TQ

its counterproductive,
your layers wouldnt be right. it would be a pain in the ass to get the constant consistency and you would have to have 30 layers of perfectly cut glass.
i can make a panel for 20 fins that will all look identical in about 2 hours. or a panel with a fabric… or a panel with a bunch of images… etc. Hell I can make a panel with all 3 if i wanted and do a batch of rad fins. I can cut them all out in different 20 templates. You would need to build 20 molds to even start.

Hi Acqua_Glassing, Yeah i get your point! Lets hope someone jumps on this thread that know all about the graphics then I’m good to go! Thanks for your reply mate, your imput is much appreciated! Kind regards//TQ