fin making

i have been checking the archives and couldn’t find too much info. about making fiberglass fins. a lot for wooden fins. i plan on using 32 layers of 6oz. for a 9.5" single fin. how should i lay up the cloth? any tips or techniques? what is the best blade for a smooth cut out?

maybe someone has a direct link for an archived forum…thanks

That’s a good number of layers.

Use a carbide grit blade for you scroll saw. Expect to burn up at least one blade cutting the fin out. Don’t force the issue the cut out takes a while.

Put down two are three layers of cloth at a time spread the resin with a squeegee and roll out the air.

Mix about a cup of resin at a time with about 20 to 25 drops of cataylyst depending on the temperature. This way the stuff won’t go off on you right in the middle of the lay up. A flat surface with a piece of waxed paper on it will release the panel nicely when it’s cured. If you get the resin at exactly the right moment you can cut the outline with a board knife. But you have to get it just right. Cut outside you template. You can always grind material away but it’s real tuff to add it once it’s gone.

Happy foiling, Rich

Mahalo, Rich

Hey Rich, do you use a bandsaw for cutting out? I’m going crazy with how bad the fiberglass eats my blade and was wondering if you use a grit blade. Diamond? Carbide? 1/4" or 1/2" wide?

And more importantly, where did you get it?

Thanks

Ben

Quote:
i have been checking the archives and couldn't find too much info. about making fiberglass fins. a lot for wooden fins. i plan on using 32 layers of 6oz. for a 9.5" single fin. how should i lay up the cloth? any tips or techniques? what is the best blade for a smooth cut out?

maybe someone has a direct link for an archived forum…thanks

I use a band saw for cutting it out, no problema at all.

Most of the rest you will find in these links.

[url]http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=181240;search_string=fin%20layup;#181240

[/url]

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=105273;search_string=fin%20grinder%20fins%20unlimited;#105273

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=177357;search_string=fin%20grinder;#177357

Also, gloss coat the final layer for a shiny finish.

If you read all that and have more questions, come back for more.

Quote:
Hey Rich, do you use a bandsaw for cutting out? I'm going crazy with how bad the fiberglass eats my blade and was wondering if you use a grit blade. Diamond? Carbide? 1/4" or 1/2" wide?

And more importantly, where did you get it?

Thanks

Ben

Cut real slow. Fiberglass is no match for metal blades. Try not to inhale while you cut…general rule of thumb for bandsaws is at least 3 teeth for the thickness of the piece you are cutting. That and speed kills.

So you just use a regular wood-cutting blade? I’ve been using one with 10 tpi but also have one with 14. I always cut slow, you can cut tighter curves that way. The 10 tpi blade looks like all the points are flat-out gone.

You don’t use a grit blade of some kind?

I always wear a canister respirator and ear muffs in the shop. I’d hate to live a life of eating right, taking care of myself, getting enough sleep, only to die of lung cancer or emphysema or some other (avoidable) respiratory problem. 3m makes great canisters that block organic vapors (like MekP) as well as dust. I first bought them to use with high-concentrate ammonia for fume-staining wood, but they work great for all aspects of surfboard construction.

No, not wood cutting blades, metal cutting, carbide, blades. I don’t even think about it - the shop where I do this has no real wood tools at all.

Gotcha. Thanks very much. My shop is all about wood, so I’m not good yet at anticipating the details I have to change for surfboards.

Protection is a primary consideration. Before I start to make fiberglass dust I put a mask on and protective clothing. As soon as I’m done I blow the powder off with the air compressor, take the cloths and mask of and wash down with Go-Jo. The grit in the mechanics clean up seems to take a lot of the residual fiberglass fines out the skin.

I use carbide rim grit blades whether in a band saw, which is best if it has a big enough throat for what you’re working wiht, or in my jig saw. The jig saw is a Bosch and a moderate speed works best. The blades are about $5.00 a piece at the lumber yard. Forget the metal toothed blades unless you’re just going to cut out one fin. They don’t last and start wandering off the line your trying to run as soon as they get a little dull. Victor Machinery is the place.

Here’s the link:

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/index.html

These blades are made in the midwest and are of very high quality so they ain’t cheap. Be sure the panel is completely cured before you cut it or you blow the blade up right now cause it’ll bind.

Happy foiling, Rich

Hey, if you don’t want to worry about the fiberglass going off on you while doing it, I used west marine epoxy to lay up my fins and they came out fine. You just have to tint them though so they will not turn yellow, i even made one with shell inlays.

-Alex

For fins I’ve been using 7 1/2 oz.E glass . 14 to 16 layers depending on style of the fin.Start out with a solid color pigment for your first fins.You can also inlay cloth to the center of your lay up.Like every one else stated take your time cutting it out. Let me know how it turns out. Gordon