fin placement for fish

i’ve just shapen my first board… a 5’6 x 20 round nose fish but heave one problem … the placement of fins . should i go for a thruster setup or two larger side fins with a stabiliser. and aproximately what angles and distances from the end or sides of the boards should i place them … thanx

i’ve just shapen my first board… a 5’6 x 20 round nose fish but heave > one problem … the placement of fins . should i go for a thruster setup > or two larger side fins with a stabiliser. and aproximately what angles > and distances from the end or sides of the boards should i place them … > thanx I have a 6’6"x20 1/2" fish with a 7" wide swallow. I had it glassed with the FCS fin system. The front fins are set 12" up from the tail, 1 1/8" from the rail. They are toed in to where the front of the fin is 1/8" closer to the stringer than the back of the fin and set at an angle of 4 deg. in relation to the bottom. The rear fin is set 1 3/4" forward from the middle of the swallow. I use the G-6 fins in front and a GX fin in the back. I really like the way this board rides. Fun in all kinds of waves up to 4ft. DT

Without knowing all the dimensions it would be hard to say. If it stays fairly wide eg.20l/2"-23"W x 10"-12" tip to tip tailwidth,I would stick with twins.THIS IS WHAT I USE: 6"BASE X 5l/2"tall, with 1" of rake. My template is a shrunk down version of the Hyson dolphin fin/one sided foil(or a blown up version of the FCS-G3)also they work better with a thicker base 3/8"-5/8".PLACEMENT:7"-9" up from the tail tips to the trailing edge of the fin,toe them to the nose tip - 1’ beyond the tip of the nose.The trailing edge should be 1"-11/2" from the rail.Cant them at 4%-8%,like all things this can very alot,but I find that if you stay within these guidelines they work very well.