Fin ponderings

About 90% done shaping this piggy, and I’m starting to question my original fin. I was originally going to put a reverse D fin about 3 inches up on it, but I’m skeptical having a reverse D with such knifey rails. My train of thought is leading me towards something more like what was being used in the 60’s with some rake in it. Anybody have experience with knifey rails and D fins?

The board:
9’6 x 23 x 3 1/4
Nose @ 12 16 3/4
Tail @ 12 17 1/2

Rails: Up in nose to 50/50 to up in tail
Very knifey

Bottom:
Fairly flat in nose
Pretty deep belly
Light vee in tail

What are the dimensions on the reverse fin, pictured above? It is a very appropriate fin for your surfboard, described above. You might think about removing the ‘‘V’’ in the tail. It will not be a positive contribution to board performance, IMO.

Fin dimensions:
10 3/8 height
8 5/8 length
Chord at 25% ish
1/2" thick

Maybe buzz a smidge off the bottom?

My suggestion is to make a new fin, 3/4ths inch thick, with highest camber @ 40% of chord length. Your posted fin shape, and proportion looks good. I ‘‘scaled’’ the photo of your fin, and came up with a vertical depth of 9.25 inches, which is adequate for the tail width you have indicated. The base leading edge of the fin should be about 12 inches up from the tail, so your intended 3 inch inset, gets you in the ballpark. Really give serious consideration to the thicker fin recommended.

The reason the proportions look so good is cause it’s based off of a fin someone posted of one of your reverse D’s haha.
The idea of a 3/4 inch fin is interesting. Thicker fin leading to sharper low speed turning?
It’s been a while since I read the infamous thick vs thin thread…
If so that seems like a pigs forte.

When you say 9.25 fin depth is adequate does that mean more or less fin depth would be desired?

I always opt for the smallest fin, that will get the job done. By that I mean, the fin that will allow me to do what I’m trying to do, performance wise.

Does anybody use a thinner, less raked fin (possibly flex fin) on a pig shape? I’m picturing a larger fin yet closer to the Greenough fin shape. I would guess you’d get a lot of whip in the back end. Any insights?

This had crossed my mind when I was looking at the deep belly and the straight sharp rails of this board. The big D fin keeps the pig from washing out on turns due to its shape (belly and hips?) from what I remember hearing. I’m guessing a Greenough-ish fin would have to be pretty damn deep to keep them pigs from bellying up.

Would you like a face to face tutorial on the ‘‘how & why’’ of the Pig design? I see you’re in the San Diego area, as I am. Contact me via PM, and we can arrange something. Also, via PM, provide me some personal history, including your surfing experience, and contact information. It helps me understand how best to guide you.

Yes and no. Mostly no. This is a discussion best had face to face. You are in need of a wider understanding of what a thicker fin is doing. I can provide that.

Actually the “Sam” board nat rode in 66 is kinda piggish in shape with attributes much like the pig you are shaping. What made that board come alive? The fin greenough made , put on it and tuned it…so, a GG fin like you mentioned may very well be the ticket. Glass. Box in so you can try various fins…that’s what I would do…

Many of the shorter transition shapes they were doing in AUS were piggy and they were using big flex fins to hold the wide tails. More about turning in bigger conditions and less about nose riding in smaller conditions.

Exactly gdaddy…