Fin setup for FISH, multiple possible?

OKay, just scored a exell 6’10" fish blank and am gonna get started. But before I get ahead of myself, I was curious if it would be possible to set the retro fish up with 4 fin boxes, so I could ride it as a classic twin, or change it up to a quad for the fun of it? Just thought it’d be fun thing to do, but when it comes to fin placements and what fin boxes would work, I’m not coming up with much.

Any info would help, howtos, pics whatever. PLEASE! Thanks in advance

Tyson

Hey Tyson,

a lot will depend upon your template. 6’10" fish, but how wide at nose, wide point, tail and tips?

FCS seem to work pretty well for that exact kind of thing, I’ve heard

(cue chipfish61)

Mark Richards’ twins in FCS–

other FCS fins for the quad setup: small rears, 4 equal size or close

make some of your own after you get familiar with those

So I take it that this sort of thing has been done on a fish? I’ve seen a twin and a quad, but never set up

to where you could use it for both. I think its a really functional idea.

Hi,

Is this what you’ve got in mind?

Has meant I can choose between a traditional twin keel set up or a quad.

Hard to make it work for both Keels and quad set-up unless you want to put it a dozen FCS plugs. Most Keels are set around 7 or so inches up from the tail, whereas quads usually have the fronts at 11ish, and the rears at around 5.5.

Nice pic! Thats kinda the setup I’m looking for.

But I get what you say about the differences in the applied fin styles, that’s why

I was wondering if there was a happymedium, that works. When It comes to shaping, I dont get too scared

about messing up, same with glassing. Seems that its pretty straight forward. However fin placement is such

a precise ordeal that I dont want to take chances with someting that prolly wont work, and would rather find out

what does.

Thanks

Tyson

hi originalsinner !

there are a couple of previous threads on this . [here’s some of what typing ‘fin setups’ in the ‘advanced search’ facility to the left turned up …

I hope these get you started …

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=214840;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=280440;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

cheers !

ben