Fin Templates For Quad Fish

Quote:
Base: 4.37" Depth: 3.5" Base: 4.37" Depth: 4.25"

from: http://rainbowfins.biz.sco.com/tab0/store/category/8wuv/Specialty_Shortboard_fins.html

That is what the website says, but looks backwards to me. Both fins have the same depth, and the rear one has a much smaller base than the other. I think the labels are backwards for depth and base.

hth

Quote:

Would these measurements stil work okay if the back set of fins were the same size and template as the front set of fins ? Or would you move the fins further apart / forward/ back ?

cecil

… anyone ??

And, my question is [pardon my ignorance , as I have never ridden them] …

what exactly is / are the advantage[s] / different feeling[s] of riding a quad set up with those “canard” shaped back fins ?

I will multi-fin option [plugs] my latest fish , so I can try a quad set up with canard back fins [once I make them !] , as well as with “conventional” shaped fins [of which I have a few !]

cheers !

ben

Hi Oldy

I have just finished this board and thought you might be interested, hasn’t been near the water yet so don’t know how it goes.

Board is eps core, balsa skin.

6’ 0" nose 17" widepoint 21 1/2 @ 2" up tail 17" pins 12" with 6" crack.

Fins are the pavel quad speed diallers from Rainbow fin co in lokbox.

Front fins are 11" from tail 1 1/4" from rail with 1/4" toe

Rear fins are 6 1/4" from tail 1 3/4" from rail with no toe

Boxes are set with lokbox standard cant. If I were to run some of my own fins, I would have gone with something like the pavel ply fins, with the rear fins having no cant or toe.

Hope this helps.

gday mark. thanks for writing & posting those pictures. mate that is a beautiful balsa finish. great work.

good to see those pictures of the rainbow pavel fins. i can’t believe how much cant they have, they’re really laying over. let us know how she rides. cheers, nathan.

yeh, I couldn’t believe the cant either, but thats how they come!!!

Shoould be interesting

Here’s a couple of photos of the nice speeddialler fins

Wow That’s one killer looking fish You’ve made there MarkyV. I’ve got drool all over my keyboard…

i’m just amazed by the generosity of the community of surfers out there who contribute to this wonderful phenomenon of the swaylock’s discussion. case in point: within a week of asking about quad fin templates, i received a fax & a letter via airmail from two swaylockians - gill & rooster - providing template outlines. i thought i’d share them for anyone else in our community who might find them useful. enlarge the picture to A4 size & you’ll get them in real-life dimensions. once again, many thanks to rooster & gill & also everyone who helped out with template/placement ideas in this thread.

from rooster:

from gill

so, would I be right in assuming these are / work better than the back cutaway ones pictured in the previous pavel fish photo ?

I am contemplating making a back pair of ‘canards’ VERY soon , for this, my ‘bushfire fish’…

…But , before biting the bullet [$$ !!] , to make a fibreglass f.c.s.-tabbed pair , I would really value some feedback , as I asked on this thread previously, as to how / why the back “canard” fins are “better” or , indeed , needed, instead of “conventional” fins ?

thanks … any help on this would be much appreciated !

ben

…thanks heaps for posting those templates , Gill , Rooster, and Nathan…cheers , guys !!

Okay …so, here are three different templates for the rear canard , so far …

…anyone else got any other variations on these , please ?

And a description of how they work , or what you like about them , would be helpful , too, if you don’t mind ?

thanks !

ben

Rainbow makes a few quad design fins. Looks to me what is on this board is a set called “Turbo Quad.” They have a lot of cant and are curved. They also make a less canted and straight set. I have made boards with both type and have gotten good feedback from both. The turbo quad seem to be a little looser. Jim

thanks Tuna !

and , could the rider[s] feel a difference from using regular rear side fins ? When you say looser , was there more slide , or did they manage to get more vertical in their turns , perhaps ? specifics would be good , so I can have SOME idea what to expect , hopping on a canard after being on a twinzer-type setup on my “prawn” board.

cheers !

ben

p.s. - …this is one of the many reasons why I “plug system” my fins , so I can try to feel the effect different twinnies / quads / thrusters have on the board’s feel and performance . But I DEFINATELY like to hear of other’s experiences before going ahead and making fins to experiment with . It’s not cheap to make fins to muck around with…

Quote:
rainbow pavel fins. i can't believe how much cant they have, they're really laying over

If you look at them on the mounted on board, because of the curvature, the tips point almost perpendicular to bottom of board. So lot of cant in part of fin but overall not so much if you average it out.

My fish with the canard quads seems a bit looser and less “tracky” than the others with keel fins. Maybe a loss of drive, too. Just a prelimenary observation. I have only road the board 5 or 6 times in poor surf. I don’t really like to make generalizations like this because the fins are on different boards. I like fishes because I like the way they drive down the line. I think the big keel fins are married well to that big old wide tail and I wouldn’t put them on a MR type twinnie and the fishes I made with smaller fins were crap. I’ve read the canards just split that Keel into two fins and retain the approximate surface area as their keel cousins. I’m not a vertical-modern rider. The kids I know that have ridden both and have a modern surf styles prefer the canard quads. Chip, your the fin test pilot. Make a bunch and report back. Mike

…are the four fin canard quads better in cutbacks ? I hate the slow turning of twin keels.

I’ve heard it said that the canards DRIVE through a turn better , you don’t get that weird ‘stop/ start’ feeling during cutties that the twin keels [that I’ve ridden, anyway] have been infamous for.

Backhand bottom turns and re-entries …I’m hoping for a more positive “grip” in the face , with a quad .

Anyone experienced that ?

cheers !

ben

“Maz” , are you out there ? …care to comment ?

Is it important that the lead fins be single foiled? Can they be double foiled?

they are on mine and narrow base also… 5 in high 4 in base and 4 high and 3 in base. Double foiled and parallel with stringer and stiff tips.

hi Liguid !

thanks for that info !

…do you have a photo or two of them , and the board , please ?

thanks ,

ben

i can send you some pictures and measurements of a mandala and a pavel ,both quads. it would be easier to send to your e-mail as i cant figure out how to compress the photos.

thanks mate !

if you look in the left hand corner of this “page” , and click on the green writing next to “my messages” , I sent you my email address .

cheers !

ben

Quote:
Is it important that the lead fins be single foiled? Can they be double foiled?

You can do whatever you like, both ways will work, but you’ll get more drive out of turns with lead fins single foiled, and I’m pretty sure all of the canard quads are single foiled front, double in the rear.