Fin Templates For Quad Fish

hi again Pierre !

…bear in mind ,

all FOUR of my fins “point to the nose” , on my quad ,

so I’m not sure if you would be wanting to do that ??

anyway ,

here’s some measurements ,

from the stringer , to the back and front of each side fin , okay ? [I hope this is <span style=“font-style:italic”>useful</span> ?]

back [base] edge of back fin to stringer = 5 1/2"

front of back side fin = 5 1/8 " [from stringer]

back of front side fin = 6 3/4 " [from stringer]

front of front side fin = 6 1/2" [from stringer]

ben

one small problem with "acute’’ accuracy is …

I have a back fin box in this board , and these measurements were taken from me “eyeballing” where the middle of the box’s slot “would be”

1" = 2.5cms , by the way …

Quad question for all of you.

I’ve never ridden one. How does a fish set up w/ a quad compare to a twin Keel fin fish?

Will it generate more drive/speed? Seems like with the fin placements its going to create a larger base area even though they are seperated apart from one another. How about turning?

What are the following:

Advantages over a twin.

Disadvantages over a twin

The measurements I would need concern the relations between back and front fins, that is the distances between them, front aft and to the side.

Chipfish, you answered my question, thank you, so, the back of the fins are shifted 1 1/4 from each other laterally, these are the numbers I was asking for, thank you. Are these common set ups for quad fish? Surf4fins, any measurements from stringer on your board? How are the fin set up relative to each other?

Yes I haven’t seen those canard quad in France yet and I plan to make a true comparison with keel fins, on the same board, after Chipfish example…

Thanks for your help!

you’re welcome mate !

And …

I look forward to reading and seeing the results , reading how you find the riding differences between a twin keel , and a four FIN quad setup , on the same board !

Hopefully , it will also help answer the previous question asked on the differences .I ‘p.m’ed him my limited experience on the “bushfire” board’s quad setup findings , compared to my experience on the “prawn” board , as a twin and a twin keel [the setup is more “twinzer-like” on my "prawn’ , as the plugs are MUCH closer together .

If you are using fcs plugs , maybe I can send you some fins to muck around with , Pierre , if you are interested ? [I’d be keen to hear how they go in different waves ]

cheers pote !

ben

Chipfish, that’s kind. I’ll try to see how it goes with these 2 different fin setups, and maybe I’ll try some other FCS fins I can get hold of. I’ll tell you how it feels and then maybe I’ll be ready to try something else from Australia…

Lokbox, thanks for the nice shot, although it’s hard for me to deduce some measurements from that, I can get a visual appreciation of it…

Question for the masses!:

What are the effects of closing the gap between the front and rear fins on a quad? So, for example, instead of having the front fins at 11" and the rears at 5.5" it might be 11" and 6.5," or at the other end, 11" and 4"? Would a thruster respond in the same way?

Thanks!

Ryan

hey pierre,

i don’t remember if this is in this thread or not, but for fin locations from stringer(and various other data) check out bruce mckee’s site at:

http://www.mckeesurf.com/brucemckee/quattro.htm be sure to check the other pages, as they have lots of info.

best,

Thanks.

I received my quad fins from Rainbow, they are beautiful, very good quality… I can’t wait to try those, when the board gets eventually finished…

I’ll use placements that are close to Chipfish’s.

Cheers

Pierre

hi Pierre !

do you have a photo of those fins please ?

if you put THREE fcs plugs for EACH fin in your board , then you will be able to move all four fins forward and back . [Likewise if you put in bahne / fins unlimited boxes]

What sort of base / plugs do the rainbow fins have …what fin system are they for ?

…or , are they glasson fins , that you will cut tabs into / make bases for , I wonder ?

cheers !

ben

Hi Ben,

I bought them with FCS tabs and they are of excellent quality! For the back fins, I will have 3 plugs as I’ll also be using keel fins with 3 tabs, for the front ones, I’ll stay with 2 plugs, that will already be 10 in my board… So I will be able to shift the back fins forward and see what happens…

http://rainbowfins.biz.sco.com/tab0/store/category/8wuv/Specialty_Shortboard_fins.html

I bought the canard quad FCS ones, they also come for future and lockbox (they are not the same as in the photo).

I don’t have photos yet, I’ll try to take some this evening and post one.

Hopefully, I had a friend who ordered some fins too so we could share shipping costs to France. 1 week and they were here! That wasn’t a cheap operation anyway…

thanks for that info Pierre !

can you buy the new fcs three tabbed wood core keels there in France , for your back three plugs ?

ben

Yes, I already have the FCS keels waiting for the board, they are beautiful but heavy, because the wood core is not a true wood core, it’s just a thin sheet of wood, in a big thickness of fiberglass. The foil is very nice.

yes , I picked up a pair [not bought ] yesterday , to see if they would fit in my bushfire . I DID notice they weighed nearly as much as my blue tinted fibreglass pair !

ben 

…they looked nice , though !

Here they are, the canard quad fins…

The ruler is graduated in centimeters.

good templates there pierre. thanks for posting.

OKAY , then , “thread resurrection” time !

…waiting in the wings …the "canard quad " setup , with double foiled thicker WOOD back canards …

…the reason ?

Well, I didn’t really like how thin my green resin swirl single foil “canards” were …they didn’t feel like they were holding in off the bottom and off the top , enough for my liking .

Hopefully , these ‘may’ feel a bit more positive …I DID like the thicker wood keels I made for the ‘prawn’ , I remember !

… still to be tested …

cheers,

ben

thread resurrection. so how did they go chip?