Fin Templates For Quad Fish

For Chip

thanks Tom , and everyone else !

…keep 'em coming eh ?

I reckon that there must be THOUSANDS of combinations / variations on the four fin setup out there !

cheers ,

ben

" I’m curious if anyone else has ridden a fish with normal twin fins and small front fins? "

yes.

fun fun fun

[see a previous photo or two in this thread…

cheers

ben

For Chip

thanks Tom , and everyone else !

…keep 'em coming eh ?

I reckon that there must be THOUSANDS of combinations / variations on the four fin setup out there !

cheers ,

ben

…and today , riding it with four fins all the same size as the blue checkered fins in the previous photo , it went the best so far.

ben

Next … from the last [blue checkered material inlay] fin panel I made , I intend to make this sized template , and try them in the front and the back side quad plugs [ie: interchange them] …

cheers ,

ben

Lots of very useful informations here. I ordered some canard quad for FCS plugs from Rainbow (I’m in France), and I am planning how to set them up. I’m trying to figure out how the 4 fin cluster is set up. From this thread, it seems like you need 5.5 inches between the trailing edges of back and front fins, but for placing the dots, it would be very useful to have distances of the trailing edges FROM THE STRINGER instead of from the rails. Numbers have been given from the rails, but I don’t know how that would apply to the outline of my fish. Basically, I would like to know how front and back fins are shifted from one another (laterally from stringer to rail) as I believe this is crucial for the good interaction between fins. I haven’t seen those numbers anywhere, maybe Icarus, Rooster, Blakestah or others could jump in and give this measurement to complete those they already shared?

Chipfish, I’ll be doing the same as you, using the new FCS keels I just got (with 3 tabs) and then using the 2 back plugs for the rear canard quad fins and add 2 more plugs for the front canard quad fins to make comparisons and play between different setups. This is on a 5’10 fish I’m building (balsa compsand).

Thanks

for a 5’10" previously discussed on sways

The measurements

1. rear fin trailing edge to tail tip: 5 3/4" inches.

2. rear fin trailing edge/front to rail: 2 11/16" inches.

3. front fin trailing edge to tail rip: 11" inches.

4. front fin trailing edge to rail: 2 9/16" inches.

5. front fin trailing edge/front to tail tip: 14 3/4" inches.

6. front fin trailing edge to front of the rear fin: 1 3/4" inch.

7. toe in (both): 1/8" inch.

Obs.: The difference seems small but we used a single foil rear fin (same size) and the described above is better (more stable than).

more stuff:

Toby:

good placement for a quad is 5.50" and 11." or the back fin half the distance of the front fin. toe-in around 3/16"

The Pavel quad fish has the front fins toed 1/8th, and the rear fins toed 1/16th or no toe in. They go extremely well!

Quads have two fins per side, more balanced in fin size. Performance depends on how the fins are set up, fore-aft spacing, whether both are toed in and/or single foiled. Canard Quads have a rear double foiled fin that lacks toe-in.

5’9" pavel quad i bought right here on swaylocks classified. it’s got two subtle wing/bumps just up from the tail toed in canted front fins and nearly vert nearly straight ahead rear fins.

Did a quad fish a few weeks ago and the guy used GX’s and G-3000’s.

Look at the Toby article on http://www.allaboutsurf.com on the last page is a great picture of the fins/tail (may be just the fin marks on foam). Word (hearsay actually) from Toby is that the fins point to the tips. So trailing fin points to the board swallow tip and the leading fin points to the bump he puts in these boards. Fins do not overlap.

Just about to plonk some fins on my latest 5’8 fishee, and this is what I’ve dredged up re the Quad set-up:

-Back fins double foiled, 5.5" up from tips, no toe-in, 1.5" to 1.75" in from rail, 7 dgr cant.

-Front fins single foiled, 11" up from tips, toe-in ‘to taste’ (I do mine to a point 2.5-3" either side of the nose), 1.5" in from rail, 7 dgr cant.

I already read all that, but this doesn’t tell me how far the fins are from each other sideways, distances from the rail don’t give me that as my rails may have a different outline, distances from the stringer or just a measurement betwen the 2 back dots would be more significant as this distance will greatly affect water flow.

I haven’t seen this discussed up to now, only distances from rails that don’t mean anything in my opinion as it is the interactions between the fins that will affect the water flow, so this has to be set up with precision I believe. If I take distances from the rail from a board that has a different outline, what would that mean on my own outline?

cool. I’ve got a 6’2" X 22" x 2.5" Steve Seebold quad fish out in the truck. Give me a list and I’ll go out and measure for you.

good stuff Pierre , great to hear from our french brothers [I can’t remember seeing a "french canard quad " here yet ? but I look at and post a LOT of threads here , so my memory may fail me]

have fun with it mate , and be sure to post some shots [les photos] quand il est fini , s’il vous plait ?

merci beaucoup pote !

monsieur ben

ben

[…sorry for showing off my bad french , for the world to laugh at ]