Final Topcoat wood SUP

Hey guys,

New here but every google search on every question I have seems to lead me to an awesome post here. So thanks for all that!

My question is: On a wood SUP I have glasses it, hot coat then “gloss coat” quotes because it didn’t come out all that smooth. So I need to sand it back. I have read a couple of places about using gloss spar varnish as the final gloss coat. Any thoughts or experiences? I feel like that would be a lot easier for me than trying to polish up the epoxy resin to a high gloss. MY concern is the varnish will be too soft in the long run vs the epoxy.

If it is a PE glass job, just use PE gloss resin. Sand down your hot coat to 80 grit and gloss resin should be fine. Depending on how flat you gloss laid down, sand with 320, 400, 600, compound and polish. that should provide the traditional deep polished finish.

Epoxy is a whole different story.

most wood boards use epoxy bcuz the poly can react with resins in the wood

you can put poly gloss over epoxy but sometimes there can be bonding issues

search the archives for behr floor finish or behr concrete sealer

Here is a cedar SUP I made a while back. all epoxy. Sand through all the grits to 1200, then compound polish.

And here is a cedar / cherry surfboard with a 2 pac spray gloss. It looks much shinier in person…

I’ll admit to taking the easy way out–sand until I can’t see the scratches (usually wet 400 is good enough for me–my boards are meant for use, not hanging on the wall) and wipe or spray acrylic floor polish (you can get it at smart and final) or a concrete sealer as Huck mentioned. The only asterisk is don’t leave your board wet in a bag for an extended period–it’ll make the acrylic cloudy (though it goes clear again when it dries out and doesn’t seem to hurt it any).

Here’s floor polish on a displacement hull sup.