Fins for the Low Tech Lab rats

I’m in the middle of a project to make some fins: four for Stingray, one for me, and one for my brother.  I’m making progress now, I should have finished these months ago.  Making six fins at once turned out to be a little more time consuming than I had originally thought.  I have learned a lot along the way, and have some ideas to improve the flow next time.  At this point I have six cleanly shaped fin blanks that are ready to be foiled.  Below are a few picutures of my progress so far…

The first image below shows the fin blanks as they are being laminated together.  There is a thin layer of G10 sandwiched between to sheets of wood.  I put a sheet of fiberglass in between each layer to inhibit big air bubbles from getting trapped in the resin (RR Epoxy BTW).  After taking this picture I put a sheet of plastic over the sticky fins, then a sheet of plywood, and a bunch of heavy things on top of that (paint cans, resin bottles, power tool cases, etc).

The fin below is one that I am making for myself.  The wood is quarter sawn oak that was glued-up in a book matched pattern.  I added resin to the outsid surface because I planned on using Super 77 spray glue to attach it to the guide template.  From past fin projects I learned that was easier to pull the fin and template apart if the surfaces had been finished.

I got the wood for these fins from the bargain box at Rockler.  I’m not sure what kind of wood is on the fin below, but I like the grain.

Here’s a fin made from poplar.

This is my router setup.  The fin blank is glued to a plywood tempate (on top).

The test fit…

Looking good so far, be interesting to see these finished up - you're right, fins are a lot of work per square inch!

It looks like they're being glassed before getting foil??? (oops, edit to add: I went back and re-read, the glass is between the wood and the core!)

Thanks for the update Swied. The fins look great!

I've been paddling around the lagoon on the Big Green Monster. It's lots of fun...I've been talking with a few guys that like me are life long surfers but do not want SUP's in the line up. I'm learning paddling methods and how to turn...all flat water stuff...the other day I had to beach my craft and take a break because my feet went numb...that was after about 45 min....Don't stress out about the fins. One of the boards got sold so the Lab Rats only need 3 fins now...

I'm wiggling my feet while paddling...funny....don't want to go num.....The boats and jet ski's....the afternoon wind....bashing through the chop.....friendly people.....and you're gona feel it....arms, legs, chest, feet. got a blister on my hand....almost dropped the 12'6" monster loading it onto the roof after a long paddle....

Stingray...........

I like...I like....more photos please.....