FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Paul-own-ia Cannon, isn’t his noggin full of hardwood?  Floated from the Goldy to Napier as surf refugee drift wood??

Hi Paul, getting any waves? East coast worst summer ever…

But that neckbeard can still be ready for the dumpster in a few months (or less) by dint of it’s construction materials that belong in the 60’s.

So what’s the point of supplying it with quality fins that outlast the life of the disposable crap that it’s screwed into?

An incomplete design that lasts forever is a silly concept .

The design first then your chosen build .

Firewire already has a durable build and passed on many great working designs .

Raising the question of their intent .

Being outside the industry my first thought was not about politics, marketing or offshore labor,  but about how they avoid “springback” when vac bagging a 3mm paulownia skin onto a stringerless (?) blank?

My second thought was about how a Sways poster named “gtigger” has been doing some great looking timber boards with no outside glass.  Maybe he could chime in…

Shark country, I doubt josh could care less, I think he’s quite happy doing his own thing. Probably chuckling to himself though. Might go fondle my JD fish now actually, it’s in my bedroom. Is that weird??

To be honest, I’m curious about the effects of not maintaining the finish once it gets outside the retail point-of-purchase.  The no-glass boards I’ve seen all comment on periodic maintenance of the finishes and fixing dings promptly.  Retail buyers aren’t always as diligent about repairs as they should be and an EPS core isn’t very forgiving on that score.  

Greg that photo shows something very interesting. The board under the neck beard was altered. You can see where the futures boxes were rerouted. Did you have anthing to do with that?

The 6’ 5-fin fish you made me is still a magic board. Bernie’s 6’2" is too, but it’s been beaten up quite a bit.

I’ve got a full woody, yew!!

People who don’t like the look of wood are tripping, this thing is bullsh!t!!

Hey Beery, this one’s yet to be ridden, yep my balsa mistress is living in my bed room at the moment too haha!!.

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/Woody.jpg

With skins that thin spingback isn’t an issue with vacuum bagging a stringerless blank…at least in my experience…

Sweer looking board marsh. Looks like its meant for decent waves mate. Even as an intermediate surfer, the spring out of hard compressed turns is awesome and addictive.

I couldn't find the custom spray job on firewires site, wonder if they'd do ( or were capable of )something like this?

3mm is thin???  That’s like an 1/8".  I have problems with 1/42" veneers taking out some of the rocker.

By the way here is a link to gtigger’s no outer glass timber boards-  Gallery - Glass Tiger Surfboards

Actually Josh did comment at the very beginning of this thread.  And I have never had a problem with my compsands not maintaining the desired rocker thru the process or after.  But I am also doing it “by the book” as Bert described his method.  Done that way the skin becomes part of the structure that maintains the rocker.  That 1# EPS is like a soggy noodle as far as maintaining any rocker.

what ever happenned to Chris Garrett?he used to be the guy awhile back with Rasta pushing his boards in some surf videos I have.looks like he packed up and moved to BaliI downloaded pictures of his cedar covered boards way back whenpaulownia makes sense for some geographies, cork, oak, cedar and teak for some others.not sure why some of the south eastern US marshland woods/weeds have’t been looked at as wellGary Young has been laminating layers of epoxy saturated bamboo veneer inplace of fiberglass for years.

I use 1/8" skins on my boards and never have rocker problems. Are you using any sort of rocker table or jig to hold it in place?

When Tom Wegener started working on his Plankton model I emailed him about it. I liked the idea of an unsealed wood board. I don't remember, but this may have been his first hollow design, and he was still working on getting it right.

I never did get one, but he did say that as long as you keep them oiled every so often they will be fine.

Gary Young uses bamboo and other eco friendly products in his boards. He's done wood skinned boards for at least 25 years. Last time I heard from him, he was trying to get the permits to build a combination fish pond and bamboo nursery. The fish would naturally feed the bamboo and once the bamboo was mature, it would be harvested for a variety of products. He was also hoping to use natural renewable energy to dry the green bamboo, use the same energy to create bamboo veneer to build his boards with and to cure the boards. If he did get the rights, he would be doing something truly incredible using sustainable natural energy and growing all the raw materials in one location. 

Gary truly wants to create green surfboards. I don't think anyone has been as devoted to that as him. 

Some cedars, like western red cedar, are very oily which polyester resin won’t adhere to. Northern white cedar and atlantic white cedar work ok, but are not as light weight as paulownia. A few ounces here and there add up and suddlenly you have a wood board that is too heavy for people to want to surf it. 

well if this shit keeps tracking along

**    mr moderator  will need to let the coil thread back in  general **

no coil no flywire

cheers huie

hi marsh the surf has been pretty small but offshores . havent had a day over head high in about 3 months. all in all pretty disapointing. let me know how your sunova goes. . looking forward to winter . i got my eye on stones gunna have a crack at some bigger stuff this year

jeff if you want to pm me i will give you a hint

cuttlefish there are plenty of boards made from polyester still around from the 60s so what your saying doesnt make any sense whatsoever

my polys last for years . so i dont know where you were getting yours from but they obviously couldnt glass for shit. but firewires are hardly that much better construction then any eps board out there.  the ones i saw only had balsa on the rail and were eps glass everywhere else so thats no different to any other eps/epoxy out there (other then the balsa sucks water). so it really is just an expensive brand loyalty your talkin there but not fact… as any shaper/glasser can make an eps /epoxy board

i agree huedog