FIREWIRE brings paulownia to the masses

Paul,

My poly boards are all glassed to last.

But that consequently makes them heavy too.

Plenty of 60’s boards around but I’m not into logs.

Be interesting to see how many lightly glassed boards from now make it to 1/2 a century like the 60’s boards.

Isn’t this why you make compsands?

Strong and light?

Makes sense to me.

Hi there Oneula.

Chris is coming and going from Bali to here [ The Goldie] …I called him last week and that was the message.

By way of introduction … the board that Rasta was riding was shaped by Chris but the Ceder was laid up [vac bagged] by yours truly. 

Together we developed a very reliable product. To my knowledge not one has broken in half. [yet] Mind you … how would I know when most of them went to Japan. LOL. 

Anyway, after  for a few years mulling it over… I’m returning to the undustry soon. with I hope,  some new time saving devices to bring down the price of timber boards.

Aloha 

DF. 

It’s good to see you back into it Dave…youve been quiet for while.

Thanks. I’m trying to get model one fish off the ground in time for the Alley Fish Fry coming up . Hope to see you there.

:wink:

‘my polys last for years’

amen.

my favorite board of all time, a well traveled and exhaustively surfed 8’0 semi shaped by Doug Schrodel in 94’ and glassed by Vince Broglio with a 6 oz bottom and 6/6 deck, is still in great shape aside from a collection of well earned dents and bruises.

Interestingly Rasta while talking about the fish with no resin and fibreglass that he rode in the “Freeway” said he hoped people would cotton on to it.

Too bad he didn’t either.

LMAO…hell, I like quads, why not a quad post :slight_smile:

Broglio glassed a lot of my boards over the years from a half dozen different shapers, best glass jobs I have ever had, period.    Watched him glass a bit, and he really stretched the cloth around the rails, squeezed every drop of excess resin out of the weave.  Boards came out light, strong and with a lot of pop and flex.  Think that’s why they always lasted so well, flexing and rebounding vs. just snapping when subjected to the blue crush…

Ok, ok, we get the picture…lol.

While the ‘art’ should be appreciated. Things have changed. Times have  moved on. 

No need for the fibreglass  egg shell surfboard concept any more or even the new latest fad of Carbon fiber.

A laminate of veneer[timber] @ apr. 3MM over a poly-styrene [Styrofoam] core is the most dynamic and effeciant way to cuase a board to Not break in half. 

:wink:

Icc , I love well made poly boards…by those who still know how to do them properly…they last…its a shame that not many people take the time to learn …how to do them   the right way…instead of the wrong way…

I beg to differ. 

:frowning:

Roy Hunnels shaped me a super fun epoxy 8’6 HPLB 6 years ago

came out of Rusty’s glass shop really strong and lightweight with lotta pop

4 years later, board was still in great shape

had a 9’0 epoxy HPLB done by another shaper 2 years ago,

falling apart in a year

materials themselves do not substitute for

materials knowledge and craftsmanship

hey Icc, if your board is 6 years old chances are that Diamond Glassing glassed the board

they have alot of really good workers there that do some amazing work

but now that i think of it it may have been some of the first boards that were glassed in house

Diamond  Glassing…and meant Hoy Runnels, not Roy :slight_smile:

Had some semi’s shaped by Rick Hamon and glassed at Diamond as well - excellent work came out of that shop.

The day lillibel’s board broke was a sad day for homebuilders.  It was a beautiful board.  

Ah , the ongoing debate that these sort of topics continually become…(lol)…Firewire is a global surfboard producer that spends far too much money convincing people that they need  to buy a surfboard from them…surfboard building , as an industry , will  only keep it’s integrity , when every surfer , in every surfing nation , can go up the road to their local surfboard builder , and get what they want…collectively , that is an industry , but what it is in reality , is an integral part of your local surfing community and its culture…those looking to dominate the global production of surfboards  ,  are doing no one any favours , but themselves…a surfboard manufactured in Asia , and transported around the globe , can never ever , be regarded as “greener”…

Carbon fad…I’m still digging the fad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BOOM!!  Thanks Kayu, great post!!