first aid for my planer....

after 100+ boards, my hitachi is sounding like a baby sea otter crying out for it’s mother. i can hear the bearings grinding with each use. does anyone have any info. on planer overhauling? i’ve heard that a kit exists with new sealed bearings and belts, etc. anyone ever seen this kit?? kirk

after 100+ boards, my hitachi is sounding like a baby sea otter crying out > for it’s mother. i can hear the bearings grinding with each use. does > anyone have any info. on planer overhauling? i’ve heard that a kit exists > with new sealed bearings and belts, etc. anyone ever seen this kit??>>> kirk Kik, call Clark foam and ask them. Basically, you can get a tool tech to order the bearing fors you and install them. It is the bearings, the belts usually stay pretty good. Next time buy the hitachi with sealed bearins, worth the money. Luck

Watchout!you’ll cook the bearing seats and it will render the planer worthless(except for parts).The bearing you need are a sealed(not sheilded like skateboard bearings) 608/38k size bearings. contact Clark foam or Hitachi for parts list and prices.I prefer ngk bearings.Herb.

Herb and all, With the bearing dimensions, or the number off the bearing itself, try Applied Industrial Technologies @ (562) 437-2201 or Kaman Industrial Technologies @ (562) 591-3831. They will be much cheaper! Both specialize in bearings and will even be able to convert the part numbers of a cheaper shielded bearing to a sealed bearing for you guys. Hope this info helps and saves you some bucks for gas. (Wish I knew where I could find some of that cheap these days!) Aloha, OL

after 100+ boards, my hitachi is sounding like a baby sea otter crying out > for it’s mother. i can hear the bearings grinding with each use. does > anyone have any info. on planer overhauling? i’ve heard that a kit exists > with new sealed bearings and belts, etc. anyone ever seen this kit??>>> kirk If you burn the bearing seats, order a new planer casing. But a hell of a lot of work to switch out the remainder of the parts…don’t lose any screws and good luck getting the cord and brushes all back in nice and tight!!!

If you burn the bearing seats, order a new planer casing. But a hell of a > lot of work to switch out the remainder of the parts…don’t lose any > screws and good luck getting the cord and brushes all back in nice and > tight!!! The only problem to that is the casing is 80.00$. That compared to the cost of the whole tool, not worth it. I saved the parts and put the front shoe on another planer. Grangers has the bearings also as does Bashams in San Clemente. Jim. http://www.JimtheGenius@aol.com

The only problem to that is the casing is 80.00$. That compared to the > cost of the whole tool, not worth it. I saved the parts and put the front > shoe on another planer. Grangers has the bearings also as does Bashams in > San Clemente. Jim. Yes, it is a good thing to keep an ear open for bearing noise before things are all shot to hell. Switch out the bearings every so often(keep a few on hand).

Yes, it is a good thing to keep an ear open for bearing noise before > things are all shot to hell. Switch out the bearings every so often(keep a > few on hand). When ever I hear the bearings squealing at all {I learned the wrong way} change them. I keep a double set of bearings, brushes and triggers. The bearings that wear fastest are the ones on the belt side, they take more torque than the brush side. The other problem I have with a Hitachi is dust finding its way into the barrel that contains the spiral drive for the front shoe. To service this, you need a split ring removal tool or your in for a pain in the ass. The dust that filters into there is so fine that it makes a buttery paste out of the aluminum dust and lube. After cleaning it is good to run the adjustment up and down many times, reclean and lube before final assembly. The easy of adjustment will be amazing afterwards. http://www.JimtheGenius@aol.com