first board...epoxy?

i want to shape my first board (a 9’ 6") and was wondering if i should try epoxy resin or go with the traditional poly resin and foam. Also how much would each cost to do thanks

i’d recommend epoxy. it’s much nicer to work with…especially for the garage builder. and also much more forgiving for us less experienced glassers. use whatever foam pleases you. if you go with a walker or a leftover clark, take the time to do a resin tint. good luck.

Quote:

i want to shape my first board (a 9’ 6") and was wondering if i should try epoxy resin or go with the traditional poly resin and foam. Also how much would each cost to do thanks

hi there , ‘Rightcoaster’ !

well , the 9’ polyurethane blank I just did with epoxy cost me $65aus to glass with epoxy…

With polyester , to do a lam , a filler [“hotcoat”] , and a gloss coat , I would have been paying at least $150aus .

THAT’S what helped me decide … [to give epoxy a try]

Just for the whole board’s cost information …

2kgs epoxy resin $65aus

cloth $90aus

blank …a chrissie / b’day present from Grant [THANKS HEAPS mate !]

15" [yep!] finbox $15aus

four cans spraypaint $32aus

legrope plug $2aus

labour , blood , sweat , tears , cursing …priceless

therefore , total cost $204aus

[…with the blank , it would have cost another $165]

okay , I hope this helps , ‘righty’ !

cheers

ben

…I’m not sure what the current usa to aus dollars exchange rate is at the moment. Does anyone out there know ?

Definitely go with epoxy. It cost me $80 for 1 and 1/2 gallons and I did two shortboards. It goes off slower so you have more time to work. It doesn’t smell nearly as much. It cleans up with soap and water. In the end the board is so much more durable than poly that one epoxy is like two polys. I just finished my second board with EPS and Epoxy and it was easy. I just can’t see why anyone would still glass with poly, except that they’re used to it and are afraid to change.

epoxy doesn’t smell as much and is more forgiving. poly is easier and can be cheaper to find though.

the math:

1.00 AUD

Australia Dollars = 0.748031 USD

United States Dollars

as os 1514 pst 1/18/06

where can i buy a walker blank…I live in jersey so east coast shops around here would be nice

send Walker a fax or email asking for contact information for someone in your area to whom they’ve shipped blanks recently…they should be able to hook you up. otherwise you’ll have to put in your own order and eat the shipping costs…which can really hurt the ol’ wallet.