First time restoration advice needed

I just picked up an old G and S twin fin
It has a rediculous amount of random damage
Mostly from being moved around sheds for who knows how long but also a footy size delam on the deck
My theory was to cut the glass down the rails and try to get it off in one whole piece.
Then put a layer of 4 oz on after some serious filling and patching ( can you get lighter cloth?)
And finally re glass wth the original peice of narled scared glass( I reckon it looks cool)

So my question is am I kidding myself?
Thanks in advance
Damo from earth

Is this the right place for questions:)

Removing and re-using the original glass is silly, unless you want to just hang it on a wall as funky decoration.
If you want to ride it, sand the whole board down to the weave. Fix all the dings and delams. Put a new top coat of resin on it.

Also, if you remove the glass completely it is not a “restoration”, despite what others might say.
It’s an abomination.

Randy Rarick is one of those that removes all the glass, when it is really beat and worth the effort. He has a method of blowing the glass off using a high pressure air compressor. He has been doing that for some time. His restored boards have commanded top dollar at some auctions. I don’t follow the old collector board market anymore. Some boards might be worth all that work a G&S twin fin not so much.

When you guys sand it down to the weave, patch, and rehotcoat the board it seems like it’d be kinda hard to see the original cracks. I gotta old beat up Hap Jacobs that I wanna do this too, but have never sanded a whole board down to the lam coat to repair before so Ive been a bit hesitant. I guess the hotcoat’ll fill in any missed cracks, but for structural reasons obviously a patch is the best bet.
Any tips before I start grindin Sammy?

Contrary to Mr.Expert’s abominable comments; Zip cutting the deck out is most times the way to go on a restoration(no quotes). The reason may be that you want to preserve the original G&S lam/logo or graphics. If you mark and mask an outline, you can use a trim router, Roto Zip or a Dremel to cut out the exsisting deck glass logo, graphics and et. all. Clean it all up. Spackle if necessary and re-apply the old glass using vacuum pump, shrink wrap etc. top that with a layer of 4 oz. Pin line if necessary. If done right minimal weight increase and looks very original. Sand the whole thing. Repair any dings. Hot coat as necessary. And gloss and polish. Time consuming, but just not that difficult. Lowel