First time shaping, suggested surfboard design thats “easy”

Hey All,

I’m wanting to try my hand at shaping, I don’t have much experience as a craftsman or particularly skilled with tools, etc.
But I want to give it a go.

Would y’all have any suggestions on an easy first board to design and shape?

I live in south Taiwan where the waves are usually pretty fat and slow, more longboard friendly most days but we do get some big swells from typhoons. So I’m wanting to shape an all rounder that can handle a wider variety of conditions.

So my initial thought is to shape a 7’0 - 7’6, 2+1 midlength with a squash tail. Softer rails with a hard edge at the tail.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

1 Like

That sounds like a good design for your first board. Keep the bottom contours flat, or very subtle. It helps if you have a board you like which you can use as a reference for the rails and foil.

blendingcurves.com has free templates.

You 100% want to use PU foam for your first board. EPS is not hand-shape friendly. Anyone that tells you otherwise is trying to make a better $ margin from selling you an eps blank.

The Shaping 101 dvd rental from Swaylocks is worth it. It can get confusing if you are looking at too many peoples different youtubes vids. There are a lot of different ways to shape a board.

1 Like

I just posted a video on YouTube that shows how to design the first board. Super easy take a look https://youtu.be/crtd6p2Q9zU?si=LlZ0Ydv7xdUCSfBx

1 Like

Hey Matthew,
I’m still planning out my 2nd board looking for similar characteristics to you. I’ve settled on a 7ft diamond tail Egg style board as they tend to be the most versatile and user friendly. I have a couple of boards that I ride a lot and love so I’m using them for inspiration! I downloaded some Blending Curves templates and combined a couple to make my own. There are some great outlines on there and I’m sure you’ll find something you like. Here’s the template I came up with.

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice!
So I’m also rethinking the tail shape. One of my favorite Midlength I’ve surfed is a squash tail but most Midlength designs I see feature a rounded pin tail, whether it be a single fin, 2+1, or twin.

Im kind of wondering why that seems to be the most predominant shape for eggs?
I’ve always been under the impression that pintails were more for hold in bigger surf.
And a lot of eggs I see describe as all round boards for small days but also for bigger swells as well.
Wouldn’t the pintail create drag on smaller weaker waves?

What made you decide on a diamond tail as opposed to another shape?

Thanks, I’ll definitely make sure to stick to PU and I’ll check out the swaylocks video!

Thanks, the video was helpful! I haven’t gotten around to using a program for design yet but I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Hey Matthew,
I went with a Diamond Tail for a few reasons,
I’m planning a Bonzer or Tri Plane bottom so want some vee running out the tail. It just will look tidier with a Diamond.
Diamont tails effectively shorten the rail length a little so it should paddle like a 7.0 but turn a little shorter …6’10 ish
A friend has a CI mid that looks nice in local waves. I have several round tail boards as well as couple of rounded pins so have that area covered.
I wouldn’t get too caught up on the tail. From everyone I’ve spoken too and everything I’ve read, rocker followed by rails are the most important design elements.

1 Like

Oh wow, so we’re all just wasting time and electricity!!! Hahaha
We just need to get em ordered and glass em up, more surfing time!!!

Lol. We’re just entertaining ourselves, haha.

I’m feeling tempted to try this. Then strip it and shape it in a few years after I beat it up a little. 2 for the price of one!

1 Like

You’re a thinking man Huck, you might be onto to something here!!! You could just clean it up and try it. Then strip it and skim 1/8" or so all over and refine a little, rinse and repeat, depending on the blank you might get 4 boards out of 1!!! The blank I’m using has a ton of foam to remove, I think it’s about 3-3/4 thick!!!
Actually thinking about it the main flaw in this plan is that …let’s be honest we probably require MORE foam as the years tick by rather than less!!! Hahahahaha

1 Like

Hello Matthew1,

What i´am going to tell you is based on my personal experience.
This is how i got to handshape with much more confidence then jumping straight at it.
So here we go. And the reason i choose to do it this way is mainly the cost of the materials vs how much you waste by doing mistakes.

When i started cnc machines were a reality so i used the wharehouse from shape3dx and chose a very small board with some volume i think a 5.6 x 21 x 2.5. (small board less resin, less cloth, less material)
i went to the factory and bought the blank and ordered the cut.
i cleaned the machine lines and laminated it. did it with glass on fins and a leash loop (this way i didn´t had to buy fin plugs, leash plugs and other tools).
it turned out pretty good and i learned lamination on the process, sold it fast for the cost of materials and was ready to order another blank cuted on the cnc machine.

i repeated the process about 4 times (more 4 boards, a 6.1 a 6.3 a 6.7 and a 7.0 midlenght) each board i added something of dificulty to it (leash plugs, fin plugs, decals, painted rails etc…)
i sold this boards pretty fast (sold only by the cost of materials) each board turned out better with less mistakes.

after those 4 or 5 pre cut blanks on the cnc i took a shot at handshaping ( used only a eletric planer and a sanding block) the results where good (i guess, not assuming) because i already had built some confidence from the previous experience with the machine cuts.

i choose this process because all the first try hand shapes i saw from my friends didn´t really look good (mainly has to do with the laminations and sanding)

Well by no means assume this is the best way, it is the path i choose to make it work out on a budget. And very import cnc machines will never replace the class and elegance of a handshaped board.

list of tools i bought or build in the meantime and the ones i think you might need:

just for lamination on the pre-cut with glass on and leash loop:
sanding block
squegge
sand papers grit 180 grit 220

lamination with fin plugs and leash plug
all the above
a shaper square
a router with a 1/2 inch bit
a fcs 2 router template for the fins
something to measure the angle of the fins
a frostner bit for the leash plug

Hand shaping tools i needed:
all of the above
a saw
electric planner
calliper scissors to measure the thick of the blank
a 90º piece of wood with grit to square the rails.

i hope this was helpfull
if you have any questions pleas do ask
i send you a photo of the board i first handshaped also for your apreciation
Cheers and good waves
The internet is ful of tutorials like many people said before greenlight is a good resourse and blendingcurves.com along many others

1 Like

I think your original idea about the squash mid length is pretty solid as far as a first shape goes. The decision about the pintail is really up to you. You could always shape two of the same board with different tails and get a feel for which you prefer when you ride it. We have some stock models you might find some inspiration from here: Board Gallery - AkuShaper Web App

Good luck!

2 Likes