Fix wrong nose rocker

Hi all! New here. I just finished my first sup surfboard (8 8 31) and after the first ridings I realized I did a big mistake on the nose. Too little rocker which is leading to nose sink very often. Is it possible to fix this now? Nose is quite thick, I was thinking of making it thinner giving it more curve. Will this work? Is there any real option for fixing this issue? Thanks! 

I wouldn’t.  Save it for the conditions it works best in, and move on to your next project.  I’ve gone back and changed fin setup, added rail channels to the deck, repaired a board broken in half, but I wouldn’t attempt what you are describing.

It’s possible that the problem is insufficient tail lift. Bigger fin(s) with more foil in a raked tip can help “pull” the tail down in the water.

You’ll get used to the board after a while and compensate by taking off at an angle and keeping weight on the inside tail rail.

Thanks for your advice.

I know a local shaper here in Mallorca who performed a nose transformation for his longboard from pointed to rounded. But don’t know if he also changed rocker, which is what I need for mine…

That sounds OK to me, I’ll give it a try with bigger fins. Thank you! 

Usually the problem is that there is not enough tail rocker.  If the tail is too straight, it gets hung up in the curl, gets lifted by the curl, and drives the nose of the board down.  I explain it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rlwl_X3FKI&t=16s 

I’ve done a number of reshapes, but always on the tail to make iterative adjusments to a shape as I learn things instead of shaping another board.  It’s a pain, but less of a pain than making a new board - far less expensive too - and I’m not about to sell a dog to some unsuspection customer so I can finance my next project.  One of the most difficult tasks is to feather the glass - don’t get too happy with your work and melt the foam underneath - don’t grind past the glass and dig into the foam that you want to keep.   This has to be done just right so you don’t make a bump when re-glassing.

I’m with Huck - save this board for flatter conditions and apply your experience to your next project.  Then you have two boards that will fill 2 different holes.  More choices = fewer compromises.     

Cutting off glass and trying to reshape a nose is ridiculous and not even worth the effort.  You could do so many other things with your time and hands that could be done correctly from the beginning.  And I don’t want to hear that $#!t about how some of you In good conscience can’t sell a board to someone else that you found some quirk about.

Hi! Many thanks for your feedback. 

I tried with a bigger central fin (10") and I have found a significant change in its behavior. Also changing a bit my takeoff tempo doing it earlier has helped a lot.

Thank you so much for your advice! 

Good .   I’m glad it worked out.  A change of fins or added sidebites can really change a boards performance.   I have shaped boards for myself that I personally didn’t like and they didn’t fit my style.  Two in particular I am thinking of.  I was nervous about selling them.  Both buyers wanted them so bad that I let them go.  I was afraid I would run into the buyers at some future date and they would complain about the boards performance.  When I did run into them, they raved about how much they liked the boards.   Different strokes.