flat

Thinking about an old log, this will be my third. Looking at using the 9’8" y blank with -3/4 nose @36 and -1/2 tail @36. reversing the template to give it 3-1/8" nose rocker and 3-3/4 tail. 16" nose 22 mid 40% forward of tail and 16-1/2 tail. 6" tail block. Looking at full rolled bottom with a touch of v out the tail. Board will be 3-1/4 to 3-3/8 thick with the nose 1.5@1’ and the tail 1-3/4"@1’. Going with green weight foam and reasonably heavy glass either double 10 deck single 10 bottom or just double 7.5 deck single bottom…Trying to talk myself into a d-fin but having a hard time not digging that dacat fin I made…not looking for any specific ride, more like something different…Thoughts?

Not familiar with green density off the top of my head, but I think “classic” is the densest polyurethane longboard foam from u.s. blanks, and should be plenty strong with 2 layers 6 oz. on top and 1 layer with tail patch on bottom.

Also you don’t say your size but I’m thinking you’re a big guy, with that size / thickness.

Post up pics as you go, that’s always fun for the peanut gallery!

Not a linebacker but pushing 200lbs with a thick suit. I seam to like more foam to compensate for heavy glass. I like heavy glass to compensate for inexperienced surfers in the lineup! I like a heavy board so I don’t have to paddle into waves.

I also surf weird Beach break most of the time. Catch it on an outside sandbar, goes flat glide through then hit the inner beach break rockets

Have you tried the “classic” foam? I used it on one board, and its become my daily driver, gets a lot of use in crowded conditions, and has held up very well. I suspected you were a big guy. I’m not so big, but I’m old and stiff and a little thick around the middle, and I prefer a lot of foam by most people’s standards.

my first two serious shapes were from the old 10’1"Y. Never reversed the rocker. One board is now rebirthed as a 6’2" somethin" or other and the other one, originally 10"0", is now a 9"6" after an incident at the Cove in PV. Still my main board. #1 out of 13. The “Y” blank has been, for me , a really good ride. Hope yours comes out the same.

May have worded that wrong, I weigh 185 and a 5-4 is probably 10lbs when wet. I haven’t shaped anything more than slightly heavier density arctic foam. Us has all been red or blue. Light or normal. Us green is supposed to be 10% heavier than normal…i’m Sure it’s all relative.

All my short boards i’ve made are thicker than average as well as longer. I prefer catching more waves and less radical maneuvers. Get a good bottom turn and set up some long sweeping turns. I don’t own a thruster but have 8 singles and a couple fish… my favorite right now is a 6-6 aipa sting knockoff.

Anyway just kicking around ideas surfing is so subjective anyway, one persons Ferrari could be another ones pento

Thats cool - you asked for thoughts so thats what I posted. Take what you can use, disregard the rest.

Classic foam is supposedly 30% heavier than standard, how was shaping it? I’m going to have to weigh some blanks randomly through the process to get and idea.

A couple of templates I’m working out, the top one more of a noserider and the bottom one old school flat

Yes the classic is heavier - but you can use less glass. It was a pleasure to shape.