Flowing With The Hull Wave

More than reading, as mentioned above, you should really ride a pro shaped one first. And above all, get your eyeballs on one for an extended perusal. Mollusk in Venice has Andrieni’s, Liddle’s, and Hilbers’ (Fineline) hulls in stock I think and all are excellent. Photos and even descriptions just can’t do justice to the subtlety of what a skilled and hull savvy shaper puts into one!

Here is an idea: there is a new surf shop in Newport Beach area I think it’s called daydream surf. They have a slew of loaner or demo boards available, many of which are hulls. Check them out .might be a way for you to sample some …

Thanks for the option Matt. I think I’ll take a look locally. I’ve surfed hull-ish boards and have shaped a hull-ish board (mini Simmons), but never one in the classic Liddle sense. I think because of the waves I surf I’ll just modify the board to suit the waves. Stuff like fuller rails will help (like ACE has already done). This is why I posted here it’s a good way to get ideas out and input in.

Any other modifications you’d recommend to create a more “beach break version”?

Me, I’d simply go wider, for a board of that type, strictly for beach breaks.

Makes sense.
Anyone know where to get one in Bali… or even Asia in general?

I have spent A LOT of time riding mine at beach breaks. Fuller rails? Mine kinda feel like a classic longboard…Not too pinched not too fat. Got to feel em in your hand…The old “look and feel” deal.

I would keep the bottom simple maybe a rolled v in front of the fin with the rest as you described- a slight belly with turned up rails in nose with a more down rail aft you might want to check out Dennis Ryder surfboards and check out how he does his hulls more towards what you are thinking than a full on Liddle type hull/ rail machine. Good luck and have fun!