Foam Cutting Outline Router Bit...

Anybody ever hear or use this to cut outlines: https://www.ekstromcarlson.com/index.cfm/product/1178_126/ec034-crcx-4-flute.cfm

Reasonable price, 3/8" shank, 3 1/2"  cutting depth…

Seems like too much risk of messing up to use a router to cut outlines unless you are mass producing.  Template moves or router wobbles and you could instantly have a big mistake.  Hard to beat an old fashioned hand saw.

I understand the risks of going the router “route”, but I am intrigued by the precision of the cut and the perfect square edge it leaves behind. There have been several threads about people routing outlines and loving the results, but availability and/or cost of these bits is usually prohibitive. This one is $55, made for cutting foam, and in stock. Just wondering if anyone has used one…

Jamie,  Check out the router bit on this link, Its near the bottom of the page. 

http://surfsource.net/store/category/blanks_shaping_tools/

You need the proper size collar in your router plus a speed control to slow the router down.

regards,

Dave D

I use a standard kitchen countertop straight flute bit same length but half the price !
Gives a perfect finished cut

That Carbide bit looks unreal.  I’m with Paul,  just use a standard double flute, on PU it’s fine. Went with 1.5’’ because I thought it would be safer than 2’', THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS TOOL I have.  Watch yourself, could cut your arm off with this thing.

I use these little clamps then your weight in the middle of the template, never had a template move.  Cuts perfect outlines, perfectly square.

That one from Surf Source is $75 and it’s the short one (2" cutting depth). I know they used to have the big one, but it doesn’t appear on their website. I think they get it from Shapers Australia but that one is sold out…

I know some people built a wider base for their trimmer, would be a good idea, I never bothered just hold a really steady hand.  Here’s KR’s design when his website was working, seems he was cutting them free hand with this thing.  Not an easy method I imagine?:

You can use a standered (timber) router bit.

Good on ya for throwing in the ''warning'', because you are very correct that routers with long bits are dangerous weapons. This is a technique that should only be used by careful people. No beers, no hurry-up; think about what you're doing.

I’ve used those in horizontal boring machines. Typically to do mortise and tenon assemblies on doors, windows, etc.

You mean this one?

It’s the only bit I see on that page

Looks much too short for cutting outlines. You’d have to do a few passes and change the depth.

I use bits like that, a lot…for woodworking. If you can find one long enough to cut in one pass, it would work great. Clamp your template well, and the bearing rides on the template edge giving a precise replica of the outline.

I use that method for curved window/door casings and such.

Those “routers” shown in other photos here are really just laminate trimmers. A true router has a bigger base and motor. I’ve used variable speed plunge routers to cut in fin boxes. Best way to do them.

That bits not as good Sammy cause you have a gap between the ball bearing and the blade, if your template is 3mm MDF there is not much edge for the ball bearing to sit on.  The guide that comes with your trimmer works perfect.  Trimmers are good because they are light.

Thanks Mike, I really think it should be stressed that THIS METHOD IS DANGEROUS.

whats wrong with a jigsaw and clean up with planer/ surform ?

Arrrrrrgh Pirate! Whatever floats ye boat!!  

Don’t chop your fingers off, you’ll need them for paddling!!

jigsaw blades have a tendancy to flex  and then not cut square

does look like a dangerous way to do things a bit that long could easily get caught in clothing

[img_assist|nid=1061205|title=Pencil Router Bit|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=48]

No not a fin box installation bit.  This is for outlines and it is further down the page.  Its long enough that it gets all of the rail.  Shapers Australia has them and maybe Greenlight and FG Hawaii.  Definitely a tool to be used with caution though!

dd

That one says 2" cut depth. I know they used to have the big one that was 5" long and 3 1/2" cut depth. But it’s not on their site any more. Also sold out on Shapers site:

http://www.shapers.com.au/products/Pencil-Router%3A-5".html

And if I recall it was very expensive, like well over $100, whereas the one I posted at the beginning of this thread was $55 and has a 3/8" shank.

Here’s a couple of 1/2" dia. collet flush trim router bits I use to cut outlines with using full sized templates…

These do a really nice job… The one in the router is a top bearing model and the other has a bottom bearing…

Like every other power tool, you have to operate safely and carefully… these can remove material quickly…

I have the carbide grit one from Shapers Australia and I have just a 5" double fluted bit that i bought from an online tool company…can’t remember the name. I use them both with hardboard templates and they both work well. You must absolutely have a router with speed control or buy a separate speed control unit from Harbour Freight.  Slow down the speed and it works excellent. i don’t understand why so many want to insist that the hand saw is the only way…then reach over for their power planer??? Follow through with this and you won’t be disappointed.