Foam Density / Noserider dimensions

I am about to start shaping a new board (my personal 2nd) and need advice on several things.

I am 195lbs and currently ride a 10’0" with a 21" nose, 3 3/8 thick, 23 Width, 15 3/4 rounded pin tail (2+1 setup) with a US Blanks blue density (plus the nose has a deep teardrop concave). This board was made by my shaper and floats me well. This board works flawlessly on steep waves and allows me to walk around just fine, but when the waves start to slow down and become more rolly I have trouble stalling the board a bit and lose stability up on the nose (it feels shaky…like speed wables on a skateboard) so I was thinking about making a square tail (8" cut), widening to a 16.5" tail, tip to tip at 9’10" or 9’8", likely a 19" nose, and keep the 23 width. 

I was thinking about getting the US Blanks 10’2" B and chaging the rocker to be -1"N +1/2"TR18. This would provide me a bit smoother of a rocker with more kick in the tail. With an 8" cut on the square tail I was thinking this would help me lock in a bit more on mushy waves.

I realize I am making a ton of changes to my current board, but excited about seeing how it works out. However, I am not sure what density to use being that I am losing volume because of the reduced length. Should I change to a more/less density foam? Should I adjust a different dimension?

In the end, I am just looking to maximize my tip time in waves that aren’t very steep and/or strong.

Any input would be great!

I think you’re on the right track.  If I might add, perhaps a bit of belly in the tail and consider a bigger fin with some sort of cut out or inverse arc in the trailing edge.  I’ve had some cutaway fins and it seems that if the foil is cut through the cutaway it arguably helps hold the tail down.

A noserider with a bit of weight to it is not a bad thing.  A heavier board tends to be more stable and will slize through chop better.  So going with US blanks “green” weight wouldnt be a bad idea.  You might also think about glassing the board a bit heavier.  This might help a little with your wobbly problem asuming that the design is not the issue.  I have shaped a 9’8 (on the bottom) longboard out of a 10’2 B Natural rocker that is NOT a noserider.  However it noseriders pretty darn well!  I cut off 2 inches from the tail of the blank and the 4" off the nose.  That rocker seems to work for me.   It also pushed the thickness a bit more forward in the board which I like for tip time.  I have never shaped a true noserider though.  Good luck! 

Thanks Surfer O,

That’s a pretty flat board then the way you cut it, I bet it’s fast!

Yea it is definately fast haha.  It is also pretty heavy and I think the weight has aided in its ability to noseride.  17" nose and 23"wide @ 4.5"behind center.  More along the lines of boards in the early 60’s.  Good luck with your board and I hope we see some pics when its done!  

All done! I used my board within my website so have a look, it’s the white board with a green stringer.

check out my website www.ExperienceSurfco.com

All done! I used my board within my website so have a look, it’s the white board with a green stringer.

check out my website www.ExperienceSurfco.com