Foiling BANNED in France.

French Mayor bans foiling from a stretch of beaches citing excessive danger.
Thai could be the thin edge of the wedge or foil, heading to foiling bans around the world.

GOD BLESS THE FRENCH !

indeed, they are funny.
France being the center of foiling outside the US, I suspect it will work out in the end.
Anglet has banned foiling.
No doubt foiling conditions are much friendlier at Hossegor a few minutes up the beach… :wink:
Foilers really should spread out anyway…

They certainly don’t belong around regular surfers. One was out in our lineup a couple of weeks back and I warned my daughter to stay as far away as possible…meanwhile this ding dong is flailing about at the peak trying to take off as other people are paddling out.

Anglet is beach in town, it’s really crowded in summer with lot of tourists and it’s ever dangerous with surfer only and now add sup. Kite was ever banned. There is plenty other place with far less people to play.

Seems to me that foiling requires much more space per individual. Pumping a lengthy speed line require more of a run at it to get up on foil. Unless of course you are brought up to speed by a Jet Ski, which in itself creates another whole set of circumstances and potential for danger.

In the 90’s Laird, et alia, needed a ski to tow their 10kg metal foils into 10 ft waves.
Now, 4-6 strokes with hands or paddles gets you in with a board + foil of half the weight, or less. Space is needed more because every rider that gets a good wave can go all the way out past the shoulder, plus the wipeout factor. It does take more space.
So far I only foil with kites, which let me go find all the space I need, a mile away from crowds… I hope others will do the same. All alone with a foil is bruising enough.
Foiling is still awesome though, and it won’t disappear.

There are foilers all over here on Oahu, I can only guess that it’s worse on Maui. Used to just see a few SUP types, but now the short board foilers are in the lineup. We’ll soon see a bad accident involving a beginner surfer in the way of a donkey on a foil board.
Not all foil board surfers are donkeys, but there are lots of donkeys that think they are surfers. A lot of the foilers are good about staying off on the side. Interesting to see them pumping those things and getting long rides, but I see a lot of them falling.

France is screwed. The US and Great Britain have foil assault military vessels. how will they be saved with the next invasion of their country???

Both US and UK Navies had retired their hydrofoil crafts in the 90’s, and the Soviet Ekranoplan ground effect ship never went into service. The rationale was they were too expensive to operate and very susceptible to any floating debris (like in the Persian Gulf). Don’t underestimate the French Military, the Exocet missile is still the deadliest ship-killer in the world even after 40 years.

Ground Effect Vehicles (GEV) are too cool. I remember the Airfish from a couple of decades ago.
Surffoils needs to come up with a Ground Effect Surfboard (GES). Surf giant open ocean swells?
https://youtu.be/Rw69O_AQU1A

Just trying to be funny Pete. I know my history and I understand if it were not for the hate of the French toward the brit’s we americans might not exist.
just think how that would have set back the popularization of surfing and with no al gore, no internet or sways. Thank you France!!!

Prone surf Foiling is awesome. Can catch waves on otherwise unsurfable waves. Uncatchable with a regular tow in board rolling HUGE swells now fun city. Opens up so many uncharted, crowd less and up to now ignored waves perfectly suited exclusively for foil boarding.

I love the French. But they have a different word for everything over there.

like slow cars with an “S” on its spoiler??
"hey, look at that escargot "

Foiling has been unleashed without regard for anyone else in the water. It’s extremely dangerous in the hands of beginners and like kiting or SCUBA should have a training course to get a license.
If you’re not prepared to get hit in the head by a foil you shouldn’t be on one. Who rides a surfboard and never thinks of the consequences ?
I’ve foiled thousands of waves for more than 12 years without a scratch but I know shit could happen and it won’t be a pretty sight at high speed and force.
Some things just shouldn’t be in the hands of newbs. Maybe a world ban might save the inevitable from happening to a kid ?

“Prone surf Foiling is awesome. Can catch waves on otherwise unsurfable waves. Uncatchable with a regular tow in board rolling HUGE swells now fun city. Opens up so many uncharted, crowd less and up to now ignored waves perfectly suited exclusively for foil boarding.”

Have you done a lot of prone foiling? do you have pics of your setup?

Meanwhile here in Florida At the Waterman’s Challenge, we just had the first foil competition ever held on the mainland (were pretty sure)…
there were almost no waves at all but it didn’t stop Austin Kalama from flying, it really shows just how far foil designs have come.

I can see where certain areas that have crowded surf zones would need to restrict the use of certain types of surfcraft since individuals can’t be counted on to do the right thing on their own.

They ban foils in the surf but maintain Chamonix as a free-for-all death zone playground where body removal teams are active every single day. Interesting.

Just getting into prone foiling. I have a 6’4" wide prone surf board I made with foot strap inserts for towing also. Just getting onto SUP foiling.
Pic of 2nd generation foil board. Shot taken in 2005. My tow partner got surfing parent of the year when his friends and neighbors found out he was takin out his 4 year old on the tow sessions. South shore Ewa beach.

Just getting into prone foiling. I have a 6’4" wide prone surf board I made with foot strap inserts for towing also. Just getting onto SUP foiling.
Pic of 2nd generation foil board. Shot taken in 2005. My tow partner got surfing parent of the year when his friends and neighbors found out he was takin out his 4 year old on the tow sessions. South shore Ewa beach.