for Wildy ...in-line at fun city .....

okay …

this thread is the follow-up to Burnsie’s thread

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=232953;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

And Greg’s question contained therein “come on Ben , have you RIDDEN that yet ??”

Well Greg [and also Mr. Thraillkill !]

you ‘might’ be pleased to know … NOW I HAVE !!

I FINALLY got to trial the inline single fin setup in my lil 5’8 “bushfire fish” today .

I caught 10 waves .

7 lefts and 3 rights [including one launching Pas saw , and one almost fin slice to 'Lav’s head on one righthander !] …I noticed on that wave I got launched on , that the inline setup flies through the air just as nicely as the board does with just ONE fin on it …

I rode it with THIS setup [why I included you in brackets , Bill !] …

cheers ,

ben

Ben,

Don’t keep us in suspense, how did the setup FEEL in use? Smoother? More speed coming out of turns? More speed during the entry into the turn? Tell all.

…I prefer 2 7/8 between both…

and with the stabilizer behind

okay ,

thanks for asking , Bill ! [I thought you might !]I think reverb might be on it .

So far , my first impressions were

[1.] [pas said it…] “…you need more board , ben !” hehe I need stronger paddling , and deeper positioning …no shoulder hopping on this short wide thick a board …

1. wide fish tail ,

2. I spun it out on one forehand bottom turn . I’d probably prefer to try this setup out on my pintails , actually …either the 6’4 , or the 7’er …

3. needed to crouch more [to avoid that spinout happening]

4. I think the big fin may have been overpowering the little fin

5. …it felt like my single fin normally does ?

6. I might put in a smaller back fin , or larger front fin , or go with my original setup, similar to what reverb mentioned.

7. two fins similar in size will be something I want to try , too…

8. more testing needed

9. to be continued …

cheers !

ben

Hey Ben,

Finally you got it out there, goodonyamate!!!

Interesting what you say about the spinout factor. I’d put it down to your wide tail, a typical single problem, and my take on the small fin forward is that it’s just an exagerated single.

Try it with the small fin at the back, it will be a totally different animal, and it’s an animal you can tame, with the right size back fin.

Keep at it and keep us informed.

…Chipfish, like I told you before (in other thread), I used to use this inline (stabilizer behind) for 3 years or more…and IS better than a thruster for beachbreaks toobs…

Try one in front and one behind at the same time…tri-inline…

thanks for the feedback guys .

yeah hicksy , I actually had the same thought which I said to pas , paddling back out after my spinout bottom turn .

But it’s even more tail heavy like that , than as a quad setup , believe it or not ?!

I think the smaller trailing fin , distance between the fins , and a slightly bigger trailing fin , and slightly smaller front fin , will be the setups I will explore next…

[but we’ve got 6 more days of pus onshores and no banks to survive before THAT will happen again , unfortunately ]

And I kinda need to get a tooth removed sometime son …this abcess ain’t getting any smaller or less painful , THAT’S for sure . I just realised today that the pain has been slowing me down a bit for the last three weeks or so .

But I look forward to hopefully playing around some more with inline setups [but probably in my longer pin tails] sometime in the hopefully near future…

ben

Ben,

Make a copy of the setup I sent you the photocopies of, you will have a very different experience.

…Chipfish, is like Bill said

…for a thruster shape . shortboard like 6 3 with a tail of 13´´ and a lot of tail rocker, use a 6 3/8 fin and 3 5/8 stabilizer. Both with a bit more vertical cord.

and put the larger at 12´´ and the stab 2 7/8 behind

with these stuff you ll not have any spinouts in beachbreaks toobs…I can remember some spinouts in pointbreaks with large drops and big bottom turns (but I didnt had a box…)