Found this board. cartiff

Hi everyone. I found this board in my garage attic years ago. A friend came by last night and I pulled it down for him to look at and being a surfer that I am not, He said that I may have something special. I googled it and another post came up. I could take the time and type what I know about it but I think that the pics will do more for you. there is a number on the top tail. I think it"s; 6482 I,C or L Not sure, the numbers are faded and rather dificult to read. any info you have would be great and I’ll probaly put it up for sale so what it’s worth would be very helpful. it does have one spot on the side where it got hit at one time, some scratches, and the nose issue.

sorry I screwed up, here’s more

looks to be from the mid to later 60’s

probably worth between 400 to 600 in todays market or more if you find the right person

wait until Thrailkill see’s it, he will have plenty of info about it or just give him a pm

Well, now that I've seen it, and based on the number,  the board was shaped in late 1965.    The board was shaped by Bill (Willy) Clark.    An excellent craftsman.   His identifier was the letter  C  at the end of the number sequence.

thanks for the info guy’s. anybody want it?

If your giving it away I will have it restored and pass it down to my daughter.

She is mad at me because I broke her last board and on the occasion she wants to surf she has to use one of my boards all of which are to small for her.

I’m 6’2’ 300lbs and she is 5’5" 120 lbs I find that amusing for some reason.

Given the damage and bad repair on the nose, and the fact it’s just a stock,generic Hansen, I doubt it would sell for much over 400. Even with the right buyer. The market for 60s boards has dropped drastically in recent years. I had recent conversations with Allan Seymour and a collector friend of mine regarding this, since I’m trying to sell one or two 60s logs, myself.

LOL!

GFY!

You'vbe already done that, but i forgot to watch.

ESAD!

Prices for vintage surfboards have been jumping all around in the last couple of years. 1970’s beak nose Brewer style boards seem to very popular right now. How many thousand Lightning Bolts were cranked out? They are like gold right now.

Here on The East Coast seems that everyone who finds an Old Longboard thinks they have found a rare vintage board. worth thousands.  I have seen Duck kahanamoku pop out with an asking price of $800.00 

I can see a few boards from The 70's as being collectible Bolts from Hawaii, a really good example of a Brewer, an original Ben Aipa sting.  Then a few niche Boards like a Caster, Wilderness and a few others.  There were a lot of underground shapers working back then.  Anybody with money to buy a second hand planer and a Clark 2nd Blank was hoping to be the next Brewer, Perrish or Lopez . Many were working under the influence of psychotropic plants and other forms of experiments with brain chemistry.  On the other hand it was fun being around Encinitas in those days. Wonder what ever happened to  Joint Effort Surfboards?

Exactly. I have seen some total crap being advertised as rare collectibles on craigslist and ebay. As I said earlier, I had dinner recently with a couple of very knowledgeable guys and they informed me of the current state of the old board market. While certain pieces still fetch high $$, the days of selling a stock brand name longboard for 1200 are long gone.

My friend has a barn filled with pre-1970s boards. He is currently trying to unload 10 mid sixties longboards at about 500/ea and there’s no takers. These aren’t beaters or popouts, either.

Hey Artz I agree about the smaller labels. The more astute collectors are going for boards just like you mentioned. A bolt from Hawaii shaped by Parrish is worth more than one mass produced at the Hobie factory. Rarity,quality and condition are becoming key factors in 70’s boards.

There is an amazing Sunset from this era on Ebay right now. Super nice board. I don’t collect em anymore…I just admire.

I have noticed that generic vintage longboards seem to be going down in price though. They almost have to be mint to bring the megabucks. The Del Cannon in another thread (to me) is a great longboard. Rare and in amazing condition.Worth a lot of $$$$$$

I grew up with this stuff so It’s an interesting subject. I deal in Mid Century Modern Furniture (in my other life) and it is the same deal. Vintage stuff is very popular. Hell…a set of Aloha Car racks just sold for around dollars. oh well…enough hot air. Long live Swaylocks

Wait…How much did the racks sell for? I have a pair on my car that were rescued from a local landfill.

They Aloha Racks brought $300 and some change on ebay. Unused and in the box. This was a few months ago. Somebody has set right now and they are asking close to $300 for them. Got any purple waxmate??? That stuff is like gold. (well…maybe copper)

Howzit Mr.Clean, Now that bumsme out since I bought a pair ( original with rain gutter straps) here in Havasu in 93"and took them back to Kauai,but since they were made of metal they rusted in the middle and just broke in half on me. If I even had a clue they would be worth some thing some day I would have put them in my room instead of on my car. Aloha,Kokua

[quote="$1"]

Hey Artzi agree about the smaller labels. The more astute collectors are going for boards just like you mentioned. A bolt from Hawaii shaped by Parrish is worth more than one mass produced at the Hobie factory. Rarity,quality and condition are becoming key factors in 70's boards.

There is an amazing Sunset from this era on Ebay right now. Super nice board. I don't collect em anymore....I just admire.

I have noticed that generic vintage longboards seem to be going down in price though. They almost have to be mint to bring the megabucks. The Del Cannon in another thread (to me) is a great longboard. Rare and in amazing condition.Worth a lot of $$$$$$

I grew up with this stuff so It's an interesting subject. I deal in Mid Century Modern Furniture (in my other life) and it is the same deal. Vintage stuff is very popular. Hell...a set of Aloha Car racks just sold for around dollars. oh well....enough hot air. Long live Swaylocks

[/quote]

I saw that Sunset on the San Diego Craigslist  It does seem to be in excellent shape. If I were buying just for personal nostalgia I would make that guy an offer.

by the way I have to do some sort of penance for my typo, The surf gods will demand something for typing Duck instead of Duke.  They just don't except excuses like it was the spell checks fault.