Free-form 'bleed' effect on lam color

Can someone with pigment/lam expertise suggest how one would go about getting this free-form bleed effect?

[[{“fid”:“107300”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

I can see that there are advanced techniques with a cut-lap there — i’m just seeking that basic free-form bleed effect and wondering how one would go about doing it in the easiest way possible. 

• Could you technically just mix up two pots, one with color, and carefully use the color just on one section of the glass?
  • If you do have to do a cut lap, presumably you do the bottom first with a cut-lap, then repeat on top with cut lap on bottom.

Finally, when using color, after you sand to remove bumps, does the glass where you sanded lose color and have to e re-colored? 

Thanks for any advice. 

[Quote]Could you technically just mix up two pots, one with color, and carefully use the color just on one section of the glass?
[/quote]
Yes. Separate squeegees also.

[Quote]If you do have to do a cut lap, presumably you do the bottom first with a cut-lap, then repeat on top with cut lap on bottom.
[/quote]
Yes.

[Quote]Finally, when using color, after you sand to remove bumps, does the glass where you sanded lose color and have to e re-colored?
[/quote]
No.

This looks a lot harder than it actually is.  I’ve only done it a couple of times but learned from guys who do it all the time.  The clue is which color looks to be faintly on top.  That’s what goes second.  First, mix up your colors for both sides with no cat.  On the bottom lam, tape off where you want the color band to be.  Cat part of the batch to lam the (in this case) white, then the (in this case) brown.  Fold the cut lap onto the deck before you pour so your lap has a hard line.  Do the cuts when the lap sets, then follow the same procedure for the deck.  If you are doing more than one layer of cloth on the deck, do the second layer clear on top of the color.  There are lots of examples on the internet.  I like an opaque for the “body” color.  Just my 2c…