Frugal with epoxy

Some people say it costs more to glass with epoxy, but its not really more expensive, if you use less. Josh Martin demonstrates…

https://www.instagram.com/tv/ByL_IR7BnE1/?igshid=bzmzhyz4z57k

I saw this earlier and it made me scratch my head.  Can anyone explain why at around the 40 second mark he has it taped like a hotcoat?  It almost looks like he did a resin panel but clearly he was pouring a pigmented cutlap in the beggining… 

I love this guys videos - I always learn new ways to do things.

First layer of tape for his deck cloth inlay that you see him pulling in the next segment.

Yeah he definitely taped off and did a opaque fill coat of on his cutap…you can see the teal resin drips on the tape. he then does the cloth inlay up to that lap line. im guessing maybe  he wanted sort of a cutlap / rail spray look on the bottom, and by doing this he can then just freelap the clear lam over the inlay to the bottom and be done with it.

Yeah I think you’re right.  Maybe he ran out of pigmented epoxy when doing his cut lap because he was being to frugal and had to filler coat in the missing ;).  Just kidding - that guy’s a pro!