Fun Board Story or Story Board Fun or Story Fun Board (Build thread DONE!)

I decided to get ready for the winter with a smaller (for me) board. I’m building a 7’10" Diamond Tail.

I’m using 1 lb. EPS. Cut from a 2’ x 8’ x 6" block. Printed the profile from boardcad on thick paper and cut and taped it together. laid it out on MDF and cut out a double stack toget my side templates.

I printed the outline an laid the paper template on the blank and hotwired the outline.

I shaped the blank.

I laminated it very dry (pinholes everywhere) with free laps. 4 oz. S both sides. I laid it on the remaining foam piece while I did the bottom glass to keep the rocker exact. I added some 3/4" Divinycell inserts for the Quad fin boxes.

I fitted a 1/8" divinycell top sheet by heating it with a hot air gun and taping it down to cool.

I vacuumed the top sheet on. 

F yeah! This is the kinda post I like to see up in here. pics of process.well done

+1 on hot wiring your blank.

Killer!

MORE!

Great work, super neat hotwiring. Quite like the dimond tail.

Great  idea about using heat gun to pre-form the divinacell to the shape. Did you have any problems with burning or melting the EPS underneath?

Mom or wifie’s 

Iron?

Impressive! 

I fine tuned the divinycell layer’s shape and added a tail block and the leash plug. I was messy around the leash plug but it won’t show in the end.

I used the hot air gun in the photo. You do have to be careful to not melt the foam. I found if I stay with the heat gun on top of the foam and be patient it goes down with very few problems. Just like all other aspects of board making you can expect some screwups before you get it down. 

I laminated a layer of 4 oz S with white pigment over the top with free laps.

I vaccumed a layer of bamboo veneer on the bottom. Then I added a layer of 4 oz. and hot coated the bottom. Called this one “big bamboo”, Dave’s not Home.

I threw some fin boxes and a vent in it. Sanded, added pin lines and finished. 

Here are a few more shots.

yew