Future fin install cant help?!

Hey guys,
I just got my one pass futures install kit and want too ask a few questions before starting…
my big one is I’ve been told when setting the fins that there’s no need to set the “can’t”… when you route the box it does it self?! I’m a little confused how that works?
What can’t does everyone use for thruster,quad and twinnies? Cheers guys
Happy board building

Cant is built into the fins. BUT it can still Can be adjusted based on what you desire or to compensate for bottom contours.

And don’t sweat it. It’s the easiest install of all. One time and you’ll be amazed.

Ahhhh okay gotcha!! So I don’t need too worry at all, just route then put boxes in! Yeww

As someone who had a lot of questions on Futures installs I would also have an angle finder handy. One of those yellow ones. The dummy fins have a predetermined CANT written on them. Drop your plugs in and make sure they are at the angle on the fin. If the dummy fin is 3degreees and you put your angle finder to it and its also 3 degrees your good. If not, correct it and tape it while it cures. Your angle finder should be level across the bottom of the board regardless of your concave/channels/vee, etc. If the angle finder is level across the board and you set the angle according to the dummy fin, you are good.
On the other hand, if you just drop the plug in and set it in place without checking the angles, it has the possibility of being incorrect. I see people doing this and think, “man they must have it dialed.” I see one guy on instagram always puts his fin boxes in and laminates over them in one full step, which unless your holes are not routed precisely, you can put them in wrong I would think. I wouldnt do this myself. Always check my angles.

I just (like 2 hours ago) set a pair in my first board (see Phoenix project eslewhere on this forum). Free-handed the rout with a drimmel and scrolling bit (probably not the best, but it worked) . Purchased the drimmel “routing base/stand” from HD for $17. Not sure the store bought template for the boxes is worth $90… I’m going to see if my local glass shop can make one for me on the cheap for future use. No cabosil, so I took some cloth and macerated it in a $10 coffee grinder (Wallyworld) which yields very small (in length) fibers to mix and create a resin slurry. Used recommended volumes of slurry (resin & MEKP) per box. Kicked to the extent you wouldn’t want to futz with it after about 15 min. I think I’d mask off the route before the glass in for all future (see what I did there?) installs.

Thought it was abit sketchy just routing and laminating without checking the angle is correct, is the angle finder your talking about the futures one? Or will any be fine?

Would this be okay?? Have seen few board supplier Delphi these and they look the same

How about some pics ? Curious about how well they set in the foam. Maybe I’ll break out the dremel.

Thats the one. I use it quite frequently. I recently got a small digital one that has a level on it. So now all I have to do it set the thing on the board, make sure the bubble in the level is, well, level and then make sure the fin angle is right. Easy peasy. Its a great tool to be sure your single fins are set dead on too
https://www.zoro.com/johnson-digital-angle-finder-10-in-aluminum-1750-1000/i/G5314206/?gclid=CjwKEAjwj6PKBRCAy9-07PeTtGgSJAC1P9xGrsrgtwOA2ltpcB0tlfoZyn3TM6eh4vJ-IoKsN19GmhoC3_Pw_wcB

That looks like the goods that digital one! Is there a rough guide you work off when setting your side fins cant on thruster, quads and twins??