Futures two pass

Hey everyone. 

I treated myself to the futures two pass install kit but see it comes.with zero instructions.

I was wondering if anyone has used these? 

My question is the following. 

1. do I put the router in with the blue sleeve to make the first cut and then remove the blue sleeve to make the second cut? 

2)Or alternatively am I supposed to just keep the sleeve in and flip the router plate around to route the second cut? 

The depths seem off on the second method and I’m wary.

You didn’t get a “donut” with the kit?  The donut is what you use on the second pass.  I don’t know.  It has been so long since I used a two pass.  I have been intending to buy one though.  They supposedly work better for post glass installs.  Cruise the inter-web.  There should be a video out there somewhere.  They still sell “Two Pass” so there is probably a video around somewhere.  Maybe the “Futures” website.  Lowel

I got a donut.

I guess my question is really how do i set the depth for the bit ? Do I just eyeball it with another fin box 

If you set the bit for the one side of the donut it will be right for the other side, too.  The most reliable way to set it is via trial and error with scrap foam.  

Be careful with the router.  Plan everything out in advance, and then move slowly.   Watching a router get up and walk around on its own is no fun.  Ask me how I know.   

This makes sense. I hear you on the router. Scariest tool in the entire shop. Like a spinning death wheel capable of turning into a gun If not tight enough. 

look on line, IS two pass a new system, never heard if it

don’t forget.  a proper futures install will look like this in the dark if done correctly. 

as they say…if it aint glowing, finbox most likely be blowing…

Lol.  Whaddya do??  Turn on the black light or is that for real in the dark??  Two-pass is an antique, but still usable.

Haha wow that looks “lit”

Man that is so dope 

As an aside for anyone who comes across this thread 

The two pass uses the timmy tool to set the router height and comes with an insert to change the 3/4 inch rout to a 1/2 inch route. Worked like an absolute dream once I got er going. 

I always use a variac adjustable transformer when using my router, it will simply lower the voltage to the tool.  This will cut the speed but it will also significantly reduce the power, which will make it easy to slow the router down. 

The modern electronic speed controls reduce the speed but preserve most of the power so they are more useful for motor speed control.  You can buy a plug in electronic speed control from a number of woodworking suppliers or Amazon for under $60.00.

Oh yeah.  Forgot about the “timmy” tool.