G10 Fins

Another batch of handmade G10 fins…
Left to right starting at the top row:
Copy of the Akila Aipa twin. Replacing a lost fin.
Pair of 5 9/16" Twinzer mains in Wil Jobson’s template.
Pair of 3 1/8" Twinzer canards in Greg Griffin’s template.
Pair of 5 1/8" Twinzer mains in Griffin’s template.
Pair of 3 1/8" Twinzer canards in Jobson’s template.

And, in case you weren’t aware, G10 feels SO good under foot.
Get on that!

Nice foils crisp!

Looking good dude!

Beautiful fins! 

How long is the base on those griffin twins? 

Also do you know what he sets them at from the tail? 

Looking good. Are you building cant into your tabs? If so, I’m assuming gluing a second sheet of G10 and then angling? Also, what thickness are you starting from?

Got me excited to order a sheet and start playing, thanks!

Cant is built into the plugs

Nice! Foils look good.

Where’d you get your G10 from?

Highly toxic. Destroys every tool. Where did I go wrong? :cry:

Chris had secret emails to guys dealing on the black market. He CCd me on a few when I convinced him to get me a sheet. Invoices attached,old emails - lots of blacked out sections of conversations - probably fell off a truck somewhere haha 

foils like butter!!! 

Dont be dumb- cover up, use low grits - easiest fins you’ll ever make. 

Chrisp, nice fins.

WW, LOL!

Jago, I ask myself the same question.

We use .250" FR4 at work so once a cutoff gets too small for industry it become avaiable as scrap. The ease of getting that has detoured me from doing real panel layups with cloth glassing scraps and resin. Bought the secondhand heavy mirror and mold release and everything…

FR4=G10 (epoxy glass board) with flame retardent additives. Tastes like victory or a badly brominated hot tub, you pick.

Along with what WW said, carbide tools and personal protective equipment…

I use a 40ish grit hard backed on an angle grinder.  Finish with 100 on a med soft pad on a sander. - butter. - don’t huff it. 

I get my FR4 from Rideout Plastics in San Diego

https://www.eplastics.com/sheets/micarta/g10-fr4?page=2

Be sure that all my “fans” here on Sways hear me say this;  I know next to nothing about foiling fins and my only reference for what works in a board is my own personal use of some fins. (Experience).  I was told two things by someone who knew quite a bit about lay up and foiling.  1.  Foil from the back edge forward toward the front edge.  There being a tendency to foil the edge you are working on too thin and sharp.  Since the back edge is always thinner and sharper; that made sense to me.   2.  Get a piece of “Tempered” glass off an old coffe table or stereo cabinet and layup your cloth sheets on that.  Use release agent, wax, plastic etc and place a light underneath.  The light will aid in finding bubbles, dry spots etc.  Jrandy;  is that the purpose of the mirror.  And a question for the rest you;  What does G-10 cost?  Pricey or No?

Ok checked those prices and San Diego is handy as I travel to O’side Airport from time to time.  What thickness do you guys prefer?

Very nice.  Foil is clean, tabs look good to fit and strong.

I use the 1/4" panels for the FCS/ProBox/Gearbox fin systems.  I don’t try to do the cants for the Future fins.  You can readily get a set of quad fins out of a 12"x12" panel, so that’s $33, or $8+ per fin.   

One thing about Rideout Plastics is that they have a bargain bin where these sell their offcuts of the different materials by the pound (it’s like $2/lb).  I’ve scored G-10 and FR4 for several fin sets that way, too, so then you’re down to maybe $5/set.  

If you buy a bigger panel the price drops. 

I got some 3/8 for single fins. Costs about 8-10 bucks a fin. 

Its made under pressure so it’s very dense. 

Also makes it a little bit heavier but ehh 

Scribe your foil lines and start wherever you want  

i usually always start on the leading edge  

check your PM

These panels are manufactured and have a high degree of consistency in comparison to a hand laid panel.  I never have to fret the fit into a finbox.    Considering how much time/effort it takes to lay up a fin panel by hand it just doesn’t make sense to go that way unless you’re trying to get artistic with the panel OR you’re looking for the flex of a PE layup.  

Ding… I’ve only done about a dozen fins, but the advice about starting with the rear edge is spot on.

If you foil your own fins, G10 is very affordable. I bought G10 from an eBay seller and I was buying a sheet big enough for 3 large single fins for about $30. I think it was 12" x 12". I’d usually get either 3/8" or 1/4" for side fins, but I also bought some 3/4" for wide fins. G10 is too heavy for large wide singles.

Another thing I’ve done is buy used extra large single fins and refoil them to what I want. A lot less work, and usually under $20 for an old fin.