Gases released during hotcoat sanding

That’s what I use WHEN using wet resin, but I use a dust mask when sanding that cured resin. Do you ONLY use the 6001, or a dust mask also? or do you add the particulate filter over the outside of the 6001?

Thanks but there is NO question about whether I will wear a dust mask or not, I always wear a MINIMUM of a dust mask, and no not one of those disposables, only a decent one with rubber mask. The question is about whether just particulate filtration is sufficient when sanding recently cured resin, or whether gases are given off after curing, and hence my question is whether a good dust mask is enough, or whether i should go up to a 6001 vapor filter with particulate filter over the top. I think from the replies a dust mask is probably fine, thanks

3m 6001 is for vapors so good to go for dust. I have seen far too many people though using those cheap cheap paper ones called just “dust mask”, totally generic.

Good to go as in it will filter out dust, but it will also clog up super quick and waste its vapor filtration potential, I will start using those with dust filters over the top, once i get some of those caps to hold them on

Why mess around? Get a good mask. Spend 30 bucks, stay healthy and in the game for as long as you can. For the record. I was never a huffer. Model glue smells good, too. Leaded gas was the best. Mike

Agreed, thats why I have several very good masks. just deciding which to use to PROTECT myself the best, as you suggest!

40 years ago, I never used a dust mask when I worked on surfboards. I sanded several full lams and many repairs back then. We’d wash off the resin with acetone, didn’t use gloves. But, I wasn’t working on boards everyday like the industry guys do.
It wasn’t until I started making boards again in 2005 that got into a PPE program. I am concerned about the dust more than fumes because I use epoxy.
If you’re freaking about the smell of the resin when sanding, maybe you need to let someone else do it. Or do like the old guys and stick a cigarette or cigar in your mouth and breath through that.

Makes me laugh, ask a rational sensible question and people dive in with “if you’re freaking…”. Nobody is freaking. I have a few masks, one for dust, one for vapours. The question is simple, non-freaked, and not suit related. Is dust mask sufficient or are vapours released from cured hot coat during sanding. Simple question. I think I had enough good answers now so the thread has served its purpose for me, others are welcome to use it for their very different purposes if they wish :slight_smile:

it depends on the size of the particulate when sanding. Usually a N95 mask will work fine…those are the rubber band jobs, but not all rubberband jobs are created equal. N95 are good for shaping size dust. Now if you are are sanding a surfboard with 150,220, or messing with asbestos etc, then you need a you 1/2 rubberface mask with a pink N100 cartridge. The finer the particulate the higher the number of filter

If you are laminating you need a 1/2 mask, or better a full mask (protect your eyes) with an organic vapor filter cartridge. if you use the organic for sanding it will clog in a hurry.

if you smell vapors, then you need a vapor mask. If you smell vapors, your board is not ready to sand.

Buy filters and change them often. Life is short…why speed it up.

I suggest the same respirator you would use with lava flows.