Gashed blank! Please advise!

Hello there,

Firstly let me thank you all for your hard earned knowledge and your kind information…

So, Im shaping a nice triple stringer 9’6 long board for a buddy and as im planing the planer caught on the stringer and gauged the blank . Nice. The gouge is about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide one end to nothing the other end, kinda looks like the Harbour logo! its to the right of my stringer. The stringer is not affected, just the foam. It is about 1/8th deep at deepest point. The blank is shaped to desired thickness so I cant take another pass, I do still have shaping to do ( bottom contours then finish sand etc } so Im sure it will be a bit smaller by the time im done, but pretty sure it will still be there! The glass job will be clear, volan, with tail patch. Ding is on base near stringer 1ft up from tail.

This is not my first blank ding! but it is my biggest. In the past I used a heat gun { kinda worked, made blank go a bit brown} and drywall spackle (kinda worked but didnt match blank}

What else could i do / use ??

• Could I make a paste with resin and cabosil as if it was ding repair? tape it of and sqeegee it in there? let kick, sand a bit , then glass over?
  • Should I use spackle again?

As always, any help on this would be greatly appreciated , Thanks so much.

pics?

If it were me I would spackle it, tape off the stringers, and give the blank a coat of white paint before glassing as normal.

Chances are it won’t be there after fine sanding. It probably isn’t as deep as you think, unless you actually measured it. I’d block plane the stringer(s) down and blend it in. It’s a 9’6" it’ll look horrible with any kind of patchwork if you’re planning on doing a tint job. You might pull it off with a coat of white as Mako suggested, but your patchwork needs to be perfect.

After 50,000 boards it still can happen, walking backside I turned my planer just a tad too much and the rail band dropped into the the throat of the planer.
Finished turning the rails, spanning over the f’up, got it down to a big thumb nail gouge that was still too deep to continue.
Had Larry Crow At Josh’s do old school rails, problem solved