Girl board

I need help in determining a plan shape for my girlfriend. She has minimal surfing experience but is able to catch waves and ride at places like San Onofre. She says that the 9’x 21"x 2 7/8" she has been riding is just too much board and would feel more comfortable on something a little smaller. She’s 5’10 and about 135lb, I was thinking of something similar to the 8’ Walden “magic” or mabey even smaller. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Hey dutch,

9’x 21" sounds a bit narrow to me…has she tried a more conventional longboard? It could be that her current board is too funky for her, not too big for her.

That said, my girlfriend ( a bit smaller than yours) rides an 8’ in practically everything, overhead Ocean Beach to knee high SanO, and it seems to work for her. Sometimes I feel a little sheepish packing up four boards to her one…

Anyway, I wouldn’t go any shorter than 8 feet. Improvement comes with surfing, not paddling around as others catch waves. Once she feels more comfortable, she can decide where she wants to go from there.

Girlie 8 footer: http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=981

August Girl 8’0 Designed to emphasize operating in small to big surf. This is really a great all around surfboard. The ability to surf in either single or tri fin is a great option! Endless fun!

Dimensions: Nose 17", Width 21 1/2", Tail 14", Thickness 2 3/4".

hey this is my girlfreinds board that she just finished shaping. its 7’10x 17x22x16. the wide point on this board is a few inches behind center, i think its 4.

the board that soulstice posted was a slight reference to the board that she shaped.

my girlfreind had the same problem she likes riding my longboard but it was just to much foam.

Thanks guys! I was looking at the “RA” girl board, I like the outline and think it will work great. Just kinda needed to hear it from somebody else. This will be quite a change as I havent shaped anything over 6’8". I let you know how it turns out.

By the way…Isn’t Swaylock’s is the best thing to ever happen to the internet?

aint thet a doublender…

how do you tell if it’s a girl board?

do they sit on it side saddle?

indents in the deck?

if the girl shapes it I guess that would make it a girl board?how do you tell when it’s a woman board?

does it float better?

good duckie diver?

gets up early and cooks for everybody?

hollers at the layabouts?

…ambrose…I go by the smell,kinda like parfume,in the twilight paddlin’ out

for a dawner

ambrose…

it’s a girl board because it diets and wears makeup. why does it do this, you ask? the answer is simple…because it’s fat and ugly.

somebody said up there about dont go less than 8’ ,something like you cant learn on anything less?..i remember when i was first starting, shop guys were always talking about i should get a longboard to learn on… well i got a 6’8’’ thruster that was very thin…i was about 6’2’’ 170 lbs…now , i am scared to ride longboards i cant figure what the hell to do with all that board ,plus they just are not fun to me i feel like i am literally riding a log…if she wants to ride a smaller board dont go an inch or two less ,let her really try something smaller…not everybody likes longboards