Given Used Board To Practice Repair

Hey Guys, I’m new to the site and I have a couple questions about a board I was given… There is a lot of damage and I dont know if it’s major or minor because I have little experience in repair or surfing for that matter. I was given the board by chance and I have 0 money invested in it. If I can fix it up I wouldnt mind surfing more often. Below are pictures of the damge. Like I said I’m not sure what is fixable and what is beyond repair. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

^ Creases on bottom of nose

^ fiberglass worn spot on bottom, another like it on top

^ I think an awful previous repair… looks really bad

^ Fins Pushing Through Top? It’s like that on both sides…

^ discolored spots and discoloration running along stringer

^ and finally a jacked up nose…

Again any help is appreciated and I’m looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

Best way to learn repair is to watch someone  else

2nd best: search through the archives here and probably on youtube

that board looks like if repaired probably has a good 2 years of life in it.

Then again a pic can give a false impression.

If you don’t have another board to surf and just want to get it water tight so you can get it in the water, go for it.  I wouldn’t bother with the creases and if it’s just a dent, leave it alone.  If the fiberglass is cracked, patch and seal.  I’m sure there’s tons of info about how to fix dings out there, but basically I follow these steps.

1. Clean the area (no wax or dirt).

2. Sand down to cloth about half inch around the ding.  I’d use 60 grit.  If you have a orbital sander, use it.  Also remove any bits of fiberglass that’s just hanging there.

3. Tape/cover up around the area to be fixed so you don’t get resin where you don’t need it.

4. For the nose, create a basin with tape so the resin doesn’t drip away.

5. Mix up enough resin for all the dings on one side.  It won’t take much for what you need cause you’re not trying to restore the board, just sealing it up.  Think of it as cauterizing a wound versus plastic surgery.

6. If the ding is in a location where you’ll put pressure, put a couple overlapping circular pieces of cloth over it.

7. Spread resin and let it harden.

8. Sand it down so it’s smooth, but not too much.

This is a really rough guide, but it should get you started.  I’m also basing the steps according to my assumption that you just need a board to ride and don’t care too much about the quality of the repair.

ahhhm, a fresh helpful typist. Swaylocks seems to have a never ending stream.

Stuff in the archives and youtube videos is better and more comprehensive though,

to include the concept of masking tape and making resin dams. Which should be witnessed

in person or in media.