Glass two layers at once??

I’m getting ready to glass my first hollow wood…with RR epoxy. One quick question…When I glass the deck, I’ll be using two layers of 4oz. Should I laminate both layers at once or one at a time? Any info would be great. I was planning on laying both layers at once but I was also told that I should do one at a time…letting the first one cure about 50% before laying the next…

What do you pros think?

THANKS ALL!

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=258030;search_string=uponone;#258030

Most people glass two layers at once.

Cut the first layer at the apex of the rail. Cover with the second layer (cut to overlap the rail by about 2"). Laminate both layers at once. Two layers of 4 oz is no big deal, really. If you have any logo to laminate, remember to put it between the two layers (roll back second layer, wet the logo area on first layer, apply logo, wet it, roll back second layer over it, laminate both layers).

I’m curious. Why would one want to put two layers on a wood deck? From what I’ve seen the beasties are built pretty solid, that is, it’s def. not foam. I would almost think you could skip cloth all together if you’re using epoxy. Not like I know epoxy for boards though, all I’ve done is use it on my bartop. It would probably end up chipping and flaking I suppose. But anyway, yeah, why two layers?

I sanded pretty thin in a couple spots (its my first hollow wood…I think I went a bit overboard on the sanding;-). I figured the extra layer would keep her strong…the last thing I would want to see is one of my boards cracking.

So two layer at once…ok. Wish me luck:-)

right o

Yes, I would definitely do both at once. Put your lam in between if you’re using one. good luck.

\r

A couple of people mentioned logos should go between lam layers. I have always put them under both layers, on the foam. Why is it better between the glass layers ?

It’s not, IMO.    On the foam, is mo’ betta!

Thanks Bill

They are of the opinion that the lam/logo is clearer and more defined under only one layer.  Any difference is negligible.  Easier to put it down on the foam.  More chance for bubbles and wrinkles if placed between layers.  I think most glassers don’t want to deal with rolling back two layers of cloth.  So they put it between layers and use “clarity” as the excuse when asked why.

Ha, that makes a whole lot of sense!

For me, I am happy to roll back 10 layers of glass, I love doing anything to delay the scary part (pouring on the resin!!) Yep I always did it on the foam. When I get really proud of my boards, maybe I will begin to care about clarity of logos. haha