Glassing 3D Printed Boards

You might want to consider a coat of Behr exterior acrylic concrete/tile sealer over your final fill coat of epoxy to seal/fill any epoxy pinholes that might create leaks through your paper skin.

Behr acylic is great stuff.

I am printing out the lattice for my board right now. I’m thinking I may take a crack at the polyspan route, which should add some real good puncture resistance. Unsure how well that will bond to the PETG, and the glass for that matter. Foam rolling epoxy on the surface may be a good route

I think I will use a vacuum setup at a minumum, possibly even resin infusion to make it as lightweight and achieve the strongest bond possible

1 Like

Thanks for tip @stoneburner , I’ll look into getting some behr acrylic sealer. I didn’t realize that could be applied overtop of the epoxy. No leaks in the board after the first test run so that’s a start.

@Cadenc very excited to read about how your board construction goes!

That looks amazing! Let us know how it holds up in use!

McDing had several threads about using Behr on epoxy. I’ve used it a couple of times now on epoxy.
Give the epoxy fill coat a light sand with 150 grit (possibly 220 would be good enough) before applying the Behr acrylic exterior concrete/tile sealer.

Interesting ideas here, I’ve been researching skin on frame kayaks. Seems some people are glassing over aircraft dacron, some over polyester materials, etc

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/howto/skin/index.htm

In the late 60s, my father and I bought a Trailcraft canoe kit that fiberglassed over the canvas skin on a wood frame. My father was the one who exposed me to Guillow’s paper/tissue over balsa frame airplane models when I was a boy — Sopwith Camel and Fokker Triplane were the two I remember.

Since I’m planning to take a vacuum approach, there is concern about any of these in between materials being able to handle vacuum pressure without dimpling. I really think a hand layup is probably not optimal from a weight perspective and the fact that these boards will be much more sensitive to a solid bond between the glass and the filament.

Likely going to pre laminate a top and bottom sheet with a very thin layer of 2 oz innegra and then vacuum that upside down to both sides, before doing a final 6 oz layer bagged as well.

I have suspicion that wyve is doing hand layups in the videos and a seperate process in reality…I mean could be wrong but wouldn’t doubt it.