glassing advice... volan or s cloth

Hi Guys, been getting into glassing my own boards lately and been really enjoying the process. This board in the first picture (the bonzer) I did with 6 oz s glass bottom; 4 oz s glass deck; and 6 oz volan deck patch. I used solarez uv resin. Its a 6’10 I used about 4 quarts resin total (2 quarts laminating and 2 quarts sanding), which was about the perfect amount. Had about half a quart of sanding resin to spare which is good to have around for dings and used all the lam resin; I know people ask about how much resin should I used quite often on here.

Anyways my question is about different effects you get on the rail laps. As you can see on my bonzer there is a very faint cutlap look along the rails, more prevalent in this pic around the nose. That very much surprised me as I was not planning on doing a cutlap, I cut it freelap style and I thought the s-glass would just blend in as you see on a standard short board. Not that I am complaining, I really like how that looks, I just wanna know what went down here. Was it the effect of the solarez uv resin ? That stuff does have a bit of a blue tinge to it which kinda fades away after it cures, but still has some residual effect.

I was inspired by these two Christenson boards when I did the glass job. As you can see they have very faint subtle cutlaps. How do you guys think they got this effect? I was thinking maybe they did 4 oz volan on the bottom and then a 4 oz s-glass deck with a volan patch. Any ideas?

If you use volan glass you should do a cut lap or it will look like shit or look artsy fartsy, depending on your point of view. Those boards look like they were glassed with volan or have a bit of tint in the resin. Those boards were glassed with a cut lap. If you don’t do a cut lap with volan or tint you will see the strands of glass smudged onto the board. Mike

why do you think they used s?
You cant see if a board has S cloth unless you are RIGHT up on it.
If you cutlap with volan, and you sand your laps vs roll them the effect will be fainter vs greater.