glassing dilema 2

ok, maybe not a big dilema…i think i have it figured out. but i might as well ask the knowledgeable folks here at swaylocks…ok here it is… i am running into problems when laying the cloth to lam the deck. the first layer likes to cling to the bottom layer laps. i know it’s because the resin is tacky. i didn’t sand the laps because they came out pretty smooth. i am trying to stay away from sanding lam. resin due to discolorazation. well my ? is ,should the laps be slightly sanded so the cloth can lay smooth???

ok, maybe not a big dilema…i think i have it figured out. but i might as > well ask the knowledgeable folks here at swaylocks…ok here it is… i > am running into problems when laying the cloth to lam the deck. the first > layer likes to cling to the bottom layer laps. i know it’s because the > resin is tacky. i didn’t sand the laps because they came out pretty > smooth. i am trying to stay away from sanding lam. resin due to > discolorazation. well my ? is ,should the laps be slightly sanded so the > cloth can lay smooth??? I pull my glass off of a roll that is mounted higher than the board and stretch it out and lay it down gently.Back yard guys sometimes get glass that has been folded…try this…get a buddy and lift the glass of the board…strech it and relay it down gently,next take a wallpaper brush to get all the kinks out starting from the middle out.Don’t worry too much about little tears as they will go away.I am assuming that you are using two layers in the process(I hope)The second layer won’t stick.Dont feel bad Bro… glassing is an art form in itself.Pro glassers could probably be tailors in another life.You can always fix it.

if you can get two buddys to strech it out while you brush from the middle out is even better but using it on a roll is the way to go.

yep, no roll…but do you guys have this happen? when it sticks?

ok, maybe not a big dilema…i think i have it figured out. but i might as > well ask the knowledgeable folks here at swaylocks…ok here it is… i > am running into problems when laying the cloth to lam the deck. the first > layer likes to cling to the bottom layer laps. i know it’s because the > resin is tacky. i didn’t sand the laps because they came out pretty > smooth. i am trying to stay away from sanding lam. resin due to > discolorazation. well my ? is ,should the laps be slightly sanded so the > cloth can lay smooth??? I find that sanding laps helps alleviate the problem you mention. Also, if you feather them out real good, when you wet the top the lap won’t trap as much air. You’ll get a smoother top lam and as a result a smoother hot coat which will be easier to finish sand.

Is your first lam fully cured? I’ve found that if I mix the MEKP in correct proportions, stir thoroughly and allow enough time, the stickiness is less of an issue. Stir slowly for a long time - inadequate stirring can leave uncured spots that remain sticky.

speaking of mekp… what would happen to the lam’s, top and bottom, if there were less than 1% of mekp? just cure slow…or having a weak board?

Better to stick to a recommended ratio.

speaking of mekp… what would happen to the lam’s, top and bottom, if > there were less than 1% of mekp? just cure slow…or having a weak board? The resin will drain out of the fiberglass into the foam (gravity). Your board will gain weight and lose strength in the fiberglass.I was taught that the best glass job should kick as I’m cleaning my squeegee. Aloha,Kokua