Glassing for competition

What type of glassing do high performance WCT pro’s use? And which foam? It seems that my boards are always heavier, even when I order ultralight Foam, four ounces on top and four ounces on the bottom. Does anyone know how they get the boards so light? I know they don’t last long, but I’m curious…

Let me know

Why don’t you try epoxy? i’ll be more than happy if i could try Greg Loehr’s epoxy here in Spain, i think it can be the best / easiest method to get a light board that will last longer than the ones that pros use on the WCT.

Just my opinion.

Yea, Epoxy is for sure lighter. I had one that work good and was very light many years ago, and it was a 6’8’’ that I bought second hand. I hear that epoxy floats more, so should go thinner with Epoxy, is that true? Do you know anything about that.

Quote:

Yea, Epoxy is for sure lighter. I had one that work good and was very light many years ago, and it was a 6’8’’ that I bought second hand. I hear that epoxy floats more, so should go thinner with Epoxy, is that true? Do you know anything about that.

Yes, Epoxy floats much better. About 50% better in fact. You should probably go at least 1.5 inches thinner and 6 inches shorter on your next board if you decide to use this magical stuff. -Carl

Pros have light boards because they are generally Thin, Light/thin single stringer, maximum of 4oz glass with only 1 layer on the top and bottom, but yeah i would go epoxy for sure.josh.

Carl your answer does not really make sense. I had a 6’8’’ semi gun in the past and that was fine for good waves 6-8 feet range. So go 6 inches shorter make sense because I ride 6’2’’ and 6’3’'s for my shortboards. But to go 1.5 inches thinner sounds like too much. I hope you are joking…

Thanks for your input anyway…

Ya i would guess the yellow foam and single 4 on bothsides with galss ons for the most part. Like in the new transworld surf Dane Reynolds says he goes trough 40 of one sized model a year. So that just says they dont last long.

Yea, I was joking :wink: …just being sarcastic. -Carl

Quote:

Epoxy + EPS foam floats better in which case you go 1/8" thinner

Epoxy + regular clark is the same but you can glass 4+4+4 on superblue and come out with the same weight as a superlight blank and have a stronger board.

I’ve been doing 5’8" bead foam boards that have a normal thickness, but I shape the excess out of the center of the deck, bringing them down to 1-5/8", they still float unreal. My 9 footer was 2-1/2" and it floated like 3", my new 8’0" is 2-5/8", I’ll ride that one at Scorp next week and see how it floats