Glassing over first layer

I have an EPS board that I am glassing. I just applied one layer of 6oz to the bottom with a resin swirl. I would like to lay another 6oz layer over the top of this layer. How long do I need to wait? Can I lay it once this begins to kick or should I wait until overnight?

I didn’t do them both at the same time because I was nervous about how that would affect the resin swirl.

Do it before the epoxy cures. ASAP at tack free, assuming you don’t have major sanding issues.

1 Like

I decided to just send it and do it while it was actually still tacky. Just had to be Uber cautious with the cloth but it seems to have worked out perfectly.

2 Likes

Looks good! Hopefully it sticks to the previous layer ok.

1 Like

My experience with epoxy outside of surfboards tells me it should be perfect.

When it hasn’t cured you still get chemical bonding, especially if it was still tacky.
I use the slightly tacky stage of a pre-seal to laminate FG cloth in channels at 90 degree angles.
I bet the rails wrapped real easy if you smoothed the cloth over them before spreading out the resin.

Yep it was a breeze. Just being cautious to get it laid flat initially was critical then the tacky surface helped everything else.

Nice! Show us some pics of when you have finished, always inspiring to see finished boards!!!

1 Like

I always wait for a full cure. you will need to prep the cuts…if epoxy is still green the fiberglass will tear and not cut when sanded. Teared fiberglass will leave a ghost blush on your laps. its just cosmetic, but when looks count and your boards are up against other guys boards all these things stack up. Your board looks good, nice work