Glassing schedule for a longboard, balancing top and bottom?

Newbie here, first time posting. So much good stuff I’ve seen.

Anyway, I’m in the process of having a new surfboard made. I’m in Central America so my choices of materials are somewhat limited by time, $$, and access. Plus I don’t want to wait another 5 months for going to the US because I need a board now.

One of my biggest issues is breaking boards. I surf a pretty strong beach break at times and I’ve been “experimenting” with things my shaper/glasser has recommended - it hasn’t gone great, just ok. He’s pretty good at what he does (and knows) but he’s not as in depth or knowing as the people I’ve read on this site. So I’m trying to figure a better way.

One of my first longboards was by Wegener, 20+ years ago. It was awesome in the way it rode (designed for variety and steeper waves, not so much for nose riding). That wonderful thing lasted 11 years here before it broke. Lasted another 2 years after the repair until the glass became too brittle. No other surfboard has lasted as long, not even close. One lasted 1.5 years, the rest less. It’s been too many years but what remember is he used 8oz (?) volan, had that green tint, but I don’t know the glass schedule or anything else except it had a gloss coat. It hangs on my wall now.

After much reading I have 2 glass plans I’d like feedback on. Or recommend a better option. Note: S-cloth is crazy expensive here, about $30 a yard, so I’m not a fan using it unless it really, really makes a difference. When I have used it, my board still broke.

I’m an older guy, 60+ years. I weigh about 220 lbs, built more like a football player than a surfer, but I’m in pretty good shape overall. Surf on a regular basis.

surfboard basics:
9’6 about 3” thick or so, not a thin/performance board, some extra rocker for steeper waves, not really a noserider design.

#option 1
o Sealing the blank - reduce a little weight, better adhesion, etc from what I’ve read here
o Top - 6oz standard cloth first + 4oz biaxial cloth on top
o Bottom - same as the Top
o wrapping all layers 3” or so
o finishing with a sanded gloss coat

Both top and bottom being the same to balance it out and assist with break resistance - @Gene made some specific mentions about this on another post. Normal I know is 6+6 top, 6bottom. This setup is 2oz more cloth than all 6.

#option 2
o same sealing of blank
o bottom - 4oz standard cloth + 4oz biaxial cloth
o top - 4oz x 2 standard cloth + 4oz biaxial cloth
o wrapping all layers 3” or so
o finishing with a sanded gloss coat

this option is less balanced than option 1 but with the same amount of cloth. I’m not sure how much balance is needed from what was said on the other post so I wonder if this is close enough. I don’t have access to 2oz cloth to lesson this.

If anyone needs more info, please ask. The board is being shaped now and will be ready for glassing soon.

I would go with symmetrical glassing like Gene said.

I’m no pro glasser. But if I was breaking longboards routinely at your size, I would consider 6/6 top and bottom. And no less than 4/6 top and bottom.

thanks. after talking with my shaper I’m planning to go with 3x4oz on top and bottom with biaxial cloth sandwhiched in the layers. he said he’d do what he can to not have extra weight. getting old makes it tougher to pick those things up … hahahahaha