gloss coat problem

HI I’m new to this forum and presently building my first longboard.
All was going great until I applied the final gloss coat, when I put it on it all looked good and it flatted out well.
unfortunately today it seems the gloss coat is to thin and I’ve sanded through it near the rail edge.
I painted the rails with acrylic paint before gloss coat therefore I’ve sanded through to paint in places.
my question is can I wet sand the gloss coat to key it then apply another gloss coat ???
any help greatly appreciated.

What kind of resin are you using?

Your gonna sand through. It’s board 1, your gonna chase your tail fixing sand throughs.

Acrylic spray on the rail and gloss over as a bold move, paint is super thin and sand through is almost 100%.

Sand it all and touch up your burn throughs

Hi Dave, you may want to rename your logo on the next one, http://www.infinitysurf.com/

What was your process for sanding the gloss? What kind of sanding pad did you use? What grit did you start with?

Thanks for the replies guys,
polyester resin,
I just did a small patch by hand with 320 grit wet and dry, the gloss coat looked thin to begin with to be honest.
spoke to the resin supplier today (sea base) they said it should be ok to wet sand sand to remove the glaze then apply another coat of gloss.
its only the bottom of the board thats thin the decks ok.
fingers crossed.

What #grit are you going to wet sand with? If It is too high your second gloss coat might not adhere well the underlying gloss.

Not sure what do you recommend?

I’m no pro but I wouldn’t sand much higher than 120 max 220 grit. If you go any higher than that there might not be a rough enough tooth for the gloss coat to mechanically bond too. I’m only curious because wet/dry paper usually comes in higher grits. If your careful and use a super soft sanding pad/low rpms you probably don’t even have to wet sand. But then again I’m no expert. That is just my opinion based on the experience I do have.

True. Sand it to dull and regloss. A Gloss coat is never too thin; provided it covers evenly and you sand properly. Thinner glass coat is actually less work as long as you don’t over sand. It’s a common screw up on a board that has been painted at the hot coat stage and the biggest reason that most shops paint foam on a finished Blank. When the hot coat is painted on, it is almost always done on the flats in panels or Posca Pen on the flats. Never the rails as they are the easiest place to sand thru and hit the paint.