gloss over fin box

when applying a gloss coat…what’s the best way to tape up the fin box and leash plug? is the best time to cut right before it sets?

when applying a gloss coat…what’s the best way to tape up the fin box > and leash plug? is the best time to cut right before it sets? Teddy tape a long board box with 3/4’’ 3m tape. it covers the slot with a bit left over…as for the leash plug cover with tape and trim it neatly leaving around 1/8’’ of an inch…I can’t give you an exact size because of the differences in leash plug diameters.You can pull the tape when the resin kicks if you want.I machine polish all of my boards so I usually leave the tape on to keep rubbing compound out of the box…or plug.The heat generated by the last buffing steps lets you pull the tape off pretty easily.As a beginner you would probably be safer to pull the tape after it kicks.Dont use cheap tape…it might melt on ya.

Teddy tape a long board box with 3/4’’ 3m tape. it covers the slot with a > bit left over…as for the leash plug cover with tape and trim it neatly > leaving around 1/8’’ of an inch…I can’t give you an exact size because > of the differences in leash plug diameters.You can pull the tape when the > resin kicks if you want.I machine polish all of my boards so I usually > leave the tape on to keep rubbing compound out of the box…or plug.The > heat generated by the last buffing steps lets you pull the tape off pretty > easily.As a beginner you would probably be safer to pull the tape after it > kicks.Dont use cheap tape…it might melt on ya. …HERE’S WHAT I DO: Cut around the tape after your gloss is stiff,but fresh.Then wetsand/polish,if it doesn’t come off on it’s own take a razor and lift it off(it will come off easy).this will give you …how you say cleanlines.This also works when glassing over boxes/plugs(like fcs)for repairs.Tape your plug, glass/lam over it ,let it get alittle stiff,cut around your tape, then hotcoat and sand.It most likely won’t come off it these appications,but it will lift cleanly with a razorblade.Herb

when applying a gloss coat…what’s the best way to tape up the fin box > and leash plug? is the best time to cut right before it sets? You can use coins for a pattern to cut the tape. I use a penny for Ron’s minileash plugs.A quarter works for FCS plugs. Just center the coin on the plug and run a razor blade around it, gives you a nice round tape off.