Gloss problems. Pock marks

Ahoy mateys, so when I sanded my hot coat I sanded into some micro bubbles or pin air. It resulted in these tiny pock marks/craters in my sanded hot coat. I figured that the gloss coat would cover over these tiny holes with no issues. When I applied the gloss all was lookin good but then I noticed that the gloss had pock marks in it exactly where the holes were in the sanded hot coat. Why do you think the gloss did not cover over these holes? If I encounter these holes in my sanded hot coat again what can I do to remedy the situation? Thanks again y’all!

Squeegee a some lam resin over the area and then sand flat again.

Before gloss coating.

Could just be the lighting but it looks as if the original lam may be a bit dry. Possibly resin is dripping in there and not fully sealing.

Dry lam comment may not be true but it kinda looks like it in the pic but light is shining on it and it just may be a light thing.

I just fought this battle not twenty minutes ago. I had a slightly larger “holes” where a tiny microbubble had escaped during the curing of the hot coat. Sanded as normal and was going to go and back fill the larger ones but decided against it. Decided to roll the dice and all came out well. I think that WideAwake is pretty right about it possible being a dry lam for you. Not super dry but just slightly light. Same on my board as you can see.
If I had back filled the holes, I would have used one of those tiny needle tipped queeze bottle(I didnt have a zillion holes just maybe ten or twenty that could have used attention)
Was going to squeeze a small dot that would be higher than the surface of the glass when cured, sand and proceed to gloss coat. I would have used a hotcoat mixture so it would sand easier, but probably lam resin would be best in your case as it will have more time to fill the holes and let bubble pop before hardening. But sanding will gum your paper. unfortunately

Dude…super dry lamination, don’t pull the color out so much next time. Your lams should be saturated, and even color. Work the squeegee softly to get the saturation down, then laminate the glass to the foam. Only pull off what resin wants to come out…don’t force it out. Think of a sponge (are you thinking?) Ok, so if you fill a sponge up with water, and wring it out dry…it will pull air in. But if you wring out a sponge lightly it will hold water, but not pull in air. THATS HOW you want to treat the fibermaglass.

No matter how much hot coat you put on top of that bubbly glass…if you sand through it…the bubbles will be exposed, and the crisis will continue. Hot coat is only there to fill the weave and a few bubbles. So if you scuff it up a bit and put gloss coat down, maybe kick it off a tad slower so it has time to fall into the holes…and you do a proper gloss it should take care of it. But if you sand through you will have more bubbles. No matter what you will see the encapsulated bubbles in the board. No biggie, except it makes a weak lamination…Probably break when is 2.5OH, and you have to swim 1.5 miles back to shore with just the trifin tail section…you be kicking yo self saying…Fucking resinhead, he just bad juju’d me.

Sorry mate…carry on

Cool thanks for all of your guys comments. I will def be more careful not to pull out a lot of resin when laminating. I will be building another board soon so will be extra careful during my lamination. If this happens again I will def try what you said WideAwake. I will be doing squeegee coats after my laminations from now on too. Thanks again dudes! May the waves be pumping wherever you are!

buy a steel fibreglass roller, roll across the deck to remove the air. Makes life a heck of a lot easier.

I think we are looking at an epoxy glass job with some surface contamination.

That’s what I thought of the second pic. (A skim coat should remedy that aswell - at least it worked great for me)

The first I assumed was poly. - anytime I hear hotcoat, I assume poly.

People should call it an “anything I can do to not get it hot coat” when refuting to epoxy haha.

I call everything after the lamination filler coats, except I might call the last coat the final coat. I specifically avoid the terms hot coat and gloss coat when using epoxy.