glossing

just gonna do my first gloss coat. what would the mix be? at 60oC 3/4 cup of gloss resin (taupo) wax in styrene? cc’s? catalyst cc’s? thanks tried the archives but it doesnt mention cc’s

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/422.html

Howzit Pauluk, 3/4 of a cup is only 6 ounces. How big is the board you’re going to gloss? I don’t scimp on the resin when doing a gloss, so your amount seems very small. I use 10% styrene and 5% S.A… This mixture has proven to work great for me and the results are a very smooth gloss finish which requires very little sanding before I start using Shurlustre. Good Luck. Aloha, Kokua

the board is an 8’2" pintail longboard the only stuff i can get is wax in styrene already mixed the 3/4 of a cup came from a post i found in the archives. thanks

Howzit Pauluk, You mean there’s no styrene available where you’re at. I would think that where ever you buy your resin, S.A. and fiberglass would carry it. What about another surfboard builder. Aloha, Kokua

Kokua - Are those proportions added to what is already called gloss resin?

Howzit John, You got it, After straining the gloss resin I add the styrene and SA and mix throughly. I like the resin to take about 10 mins to kick so that it smoothes out really nice. Aloha, Kokua

Kokua you gotta be using Reichold.I cant get Silmar to kick in less than 30 minutes…eats the pinlines.

kokua. what´s SA ?

Hey Reverb,where ya been?Im not Kokua but SA is “Surfacing Agent” also known as “Wax Sol” (wax solution).Its simply a premix of wax and styrene that you get from fiberglass suppliers.

Mr Clean, Yep Reichold is what Fiberglass Hi. sends me. I would hate to wait around for 30 mins. for it to kick, plus the problem with the pinlines would really drive me nuts. They’ve got to sell Reichold in your area, but when I think about it I probably couldn’t get Silmar here if I wanted it. Aloha, Kokua

saw the Titus DVD… boy…no drop in on him

Howzit Friend, that’s the truth,but Titus is a man full of Aloha and will give you waves. I’m proud to call him a friend, just don’t get him mad at you or you can forget surfing Hanalei. Aloha, Kokua

Hey cleanlines,

When you say that the the Silmar resin ‘eats the pinline’ what do you mean?  Does the silmar gloss resin taking longer to kick somehow affect pinlines?  Just wondering because I plan on glossing a board with pinlines soon and I have silmar resin.  I hope to avoid as many problems as possible so any advice would rock.

Thanks

It is been said

Using Reichold gloss resin.

Add 10% styrene and 5% S.A…

“This mixture has proven to work great for me and the results are a very smooth gloss finish which requires very little sanding before I start using Shurlustre. Good Luck. Aloha,** Kokua.”**

Sound advise…