Good answeres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me say, ALL of you guys had very good points replied in your responses. The guys who are building their own boards aren’t a threat percentage wise to the numbers sold. Instruction tapes are of no use to someone already to the point of marketing themselves.(good habits or bad are already in place). Those of us who have been in it for the long run, are either the best Goddamn liars in the world or driven, maniacle, Van Gough’s with planers in the place of brushes. If it had not been for the internet, I would have had to wait until I was dead for my work to have any value! Anyone who has worked this long would have quit if it was lugging shingles up a ladder for the same pay. You couldn’t hate what you do and still wake up knowing you get to shape surfboard all day long.

Let me say, ALL of you guys had very good points replied in your > responses. The guys who are building their own boards aren’t a threat > percentage wise to the numbers sold. Instruction tapes are of no use to > someone already to the point of marketing themselves.(good habits or bad > are already in place). Those of us who have been in it for the long run, > are either the best Goddamn liars in the world or driven, maniacle, Van > Gough’s with planers in the place of brushes. Or, Brushes in place in planers… pardon the pun.

Or, Brushes in place in planers… pardon the pun. THANK YOU, YOU ARE ONE OF THE BEST IN MY EYES, BY THE WAY DO YOU REMEMBER MIKE OPPENHIEMER FROM SEVENTIES EAST COAST COMPITITIONS, COOL CHARACTER EH? I WAS JUST LOOKING AT A PICTURE OF TERRY FITZGERALDS EARLY SEVENTIES QUIVER COMPLETELY AIRBRUSHED IN PSYCODELIC COLORS, AIBRUSHERS ARE UNDERPAID…OOPS OH SH-T! HERE WE GO AGAIN. THANKS FOR INJECTING SOME PASSION INTO MY BORING DAY! KEEP SURFING…

Let me say, ALL of you guys had very good points replied in your > responses. The guys who are building their own boards aren’t a threat > percentage wise to the numbers sold. Instruction tapes are of no use to > someone already to the point of marketing themselves.(good habits or bad > are already in place). Those of us who have been in it for the long run, > are either the best Goddamn liars in the world or driven, maniacle, Van > Gough’s with planers in the place of brushes. If it had not been for the > internet, I would have had to wait until I was dead for my work to have > any value! Anyone who has worked this long would have quit if it was > lugging shingles up a ladder for the same pay. You couldn’t hate what you > do and still wake up knowing you get to shape surfboard all day long. My sincere apologies for my prior posts caustic remarks, especially to you, SURFHUNGRY. Though we all must ocassionally labor at that which is without personal meaning, its unfortunate that in America, so many have either forgotten, or never learned, what generations long before our time intuitively understood: that there are no guarantees in this life, that our years on earth are remarkably brief, therefore vocation and avocation need not be in conflict if one is passionately involved with what they love to do, and as a result, ones existence can actually have a far deeper and much more profound meaning than the daily, mundane accumulation of personal wealth and possessions, joylessly striving for the off-hours, weekends and vacations-- or the longshot hope of a "carefree retirement", itself being a concept that would have seemed quite strange to an aging, productive master of the Renaissance. Throughout history, it has been clear that a great many individuals are naturally gifted; and until recent centuries, it was not unusual to discover the doorway to ones higher purposes at an early age, serve a long apprenticeship under the guidance of a master and eventually be recognised and admired enough to find a measure of security in the aesthetic and economic shelter of wealthy benefactors. It was not uncommon for an individual to devote their entire lifes focus to one specific area, casting off much of what would have comprised an ordinary life, to journey the longest path. This has remained, without question, the only legitimate means of achieving the remarkable heights of human expression that we all have seen in fieldsof endeavor such as architecture, music, painting, engineering, writing and sculpture..... things of which we rightly stand in awe of today. Sadly, in many respects, we have lost our way. Aside from the relatively low dollar value placed on them by todays frequently crass, materialistic culture in which they have been born, our finest surfboard designers and shapers are nevertheless intimately connected to the timeless lineage of passionately talented men and women who have, with their very lives, left their marks, in passing by so long before. I guess in my long-winded way, what Im trying to say-- if you honestly cant afford the full retail price, then haggle if you will. We seem to forget that very few other hand-crafted products offer so much, for so little-- and they alone offer the consumer the invaluable choice between custom and pop-out. So, if you DO have the money, or possibly make more (very likely) than the person who shapes your board, consider THEIR personal circumstances for a moment, and then give them the full respect and income they`ve rightfully earned.

DANG, that was well said!!!

DANG, that was well said!!! Rontech…those thoughts have been manifesting for awhile.

Rontech…those thoughts have been manifesting for awhile. Bad or good? Been there done that…just saddened by great, seasoned talent going unrewarded, or away permanently. I`m concerned that unacceptably low profit margins for high quality, custom surfboards will eventually: (1) force the best talents to earn their incomes elsewhere, (2) open a niche market for low-cost, mass-produced surfboards. Think about it: nearly all other recreational sporting goods products are either mass-produced via injection/roto-molding, die-cutting, pressure-forming, vaccuum bagging, etc. In comparison, conventional, custom surfboard manufacturing procedure is a modern day anachronism just waiting to be challenged by the right set of variables. How much longer will this small industry be able to sustain itself if it tries to exist as neither low-volume/high quality or high volume/low quality? Consumers will ultimately decide.

My sincere apologies for my prior posts caustic remarks, especially to > you, SURFHUNGRY.>>> Though we all must ocassionally labor at that which is without personal > meaning, its unfortunate that in America, so many have either forgotten, > or never learned, what generations long before our time intuitively > understood: that there are no guarantees in this life, that our years on > earth are remarkably brief, therefore vocation and avocation need not be > in conflict if one is passionately involved with what they love to do, and > as a result, ones existence can actually have a far deeper and much more > profound meaning than the daily, mundane accumulation of personal wealth > and possessions, joylessly striving for the off-hours, weekends and > vacations-- or the longshot hope of a "carefree retirement", > itself being a concept that would have seemed quite strange to an aging, > productive master of the Renaissance.>>> Throughout history, it has been clear that a great many individuals are > naturally gifted; and until recent centuries, it was not unusual to > discover the doorway to ones higher purposes at an early age, serve a > long apprenticeship under the guidance of a master and eventually be > recognised and admired enough to find a measure of security in the > aesthetic and economic shelter of wealthy benefactors. It was not uncommon > for an individual to devote their entire lifes focus to one specific > area, casting off much of what would have comprised an ordinary life, to > journey the longest path.>>> This has remained, without question, the only legitimate means of > achieving the remarkable heights of human expression that we all have seen > in fieldsof endeavor such as architecture, music, painting, engineering, > writing and sculpture..... things of which we rightly stand in awe of > today. Sadly, in many respects, we have lost our way.>>> Aside from the relatively low dollar value placed on them by todays > frequently crass, materialistic culture in which they have been born, our > finest surfboard designers and shapers are nevertheless intimately > connected to the timeless lineage of passionately talented men and women > who have, with their very lives, left their marks, in passing by so long > before.>>> I guess in my long-winded way, what Im trying to say-- if you honestly > cant afford the full retail price, then haggle if you will. We seem to > forget that very few other hand-crafted products offer so much, for so > little-- and they alone offer the consumer the invaluable choice between > custom and pop-out. So, if you DO have the money, or possibly make more > (very likely) than the person who shapes your board, consider THEIR > personal circumstances for a moment, and then give them the full respect > and income they`ve rightfully earned. No problem Rontech…Its freedom of expression we love, verbally and for a fortunate few, on a good handmade/homemade surfboard!!!

Jim’s comments, and all of the subsequent responses, were one of the better things I’ve read around here for a while. Seems as though this was coming for some time. How do you put a fair price on an expertly crafted surfboard?! Is it the labor/materials that go into producing it, the geneology of where it came from, or does it boil down to the final product? What you get in the final analysis speaks for itself…if a board has less attention to detail, it WILL show.(if you know how to look {sometimes it is obvious}). The junk has a way of falling - over time - and the best products seem to eventually become recognised and rise to the top. If it is an issue of purchasing said product, and you don’t like what it appears to be…you can just walk away. Not all boards are created equal. Some surfboards are, indeed, underpriced for what has been put into them. Some boards are not. It depends upon VALUE. Everyone should be forced to make his (or her) own board - at least once - (and ride that thing for a few months)…then, and only then, would they appreciate what the skilled artisans do. By the same token, we shouldn’t always begrudge the backyard builder. Many of these guys really aren’t in it for the cash (or to do dirty to the established professionals)…Many of these guys just love the thrill of making their own “rides”. Ultimately, some of these folks rise to great proficiency, and take the step up to do it for a living. (“the ‘right’ way”). Some backyard guys are not so lucky to have mentors to attach themselves to…who will take them under their wing, and show them the ropes. Why do some poeple build boards?..for ego…for money…for the love of it…want a unique or experimental product, and just want to do it themselves…maybe figure out a few things about physics? I think more people should attempt to build boards. I think we should enable and educate more people. Like a lot of you said…It’s one thing to buy shaping videos etc., but it is entirely another thing to become a virtuoso. I’d, personally, LIKE to see more people become virtuosos…sure, it takes talent and a gift…but you can never get there if you do not have the basic “tools” (information being a key tool!). Not everyone is cut out for it. some surf well, some shape well. (some do both {ideal}). I was very surprised to hear that jim has an associate who shapes but does NOT surf!!! With the advent of the CAM shaper, I wonder who will be making our boards in the near future. Maybe there will be “modelers” who don’t surf at all. Seems like the hands on/experienced surfer/backyard shapers may be of some service in the future. maybe these will be the only guys left in it because , for them, it wasn’t solely about making a living, but living to surf.