Gorilla glue for stringer

Hi, I am having a difficult time using gorilla glue as it starts to kick very quickly. I have almost no time clamp the blanks. Everything must be done in a rush and it’s not a good feeling. How do I extend the working time? I tried dampening the foam only, apply glue on the stringer before setting them together but it was not much help. Is there another glue I can use with a longer working time?

Picture of clamp setup

Looks good for here. Maybe do it in the coolest temperature of the day(night)… looks cleaner then most

Scrape it on your foam so it’s a good even coating and then clamp.

You should have a good 15-20 mins of work time.

I’ve never needed to add moisture to either side.

Adding the moisture may be your problem as it will speed up the process.

Hi WideAwake. On the bottle it says to damp the area. If I do not damp, will it fully cure?

Why don’t you call the Gorilla glue company and see what they have to say?

in my experience, on a humid day the glue will start to kick and you can see the reaction (gets whiter). Depending on weather, that could be enough moisture. But on a dry or very dry day, wait until everything is spread evenly, then lightly mist the glue with a spray bottle of water, and immediately start clamping. If there is a way to get more time, I’m not aware of it. Maybe someone has a trick?

Ive never had any issue with curing.

To make sure, you are talking about the expanding poly glue?

Scrape your foam and lightly mist your stringer. This way it won’t have any moisture contact until they touch.

I never use any added moisture. Never had any glue up issues.

Single stringer, bunches, glue lines.

I’m using pigmented expanding poly GG. The amber stuff.

On poly foam.

Squirt some out on some scrap foam and clamp another piece of scrap to it and see if it cures without any added moisture. My guess would be yes.

Thanks WideAwake. I will try without dampening.

I was doing this at night with AC on. Can’t get temp lower than that. I will try without dampening like WideAwake suggested. The air is humid anyway.

Another thought might be to just do one side foam to stringer, let it set up, and then do the other side. It would save some stress and only add like a 1/2 hour time total. I also agree that your clamping setup is nice too.

Never added moisture and never had separation or any other problem . I believe there’s plenty of moisture in the air and in the material to set it off. If you’re in a humid environment your working time is shortened and spraying with water doesn’t sound like a good idea from my experience. I scrape the glue really tight on both sides of the wood only and I don’t coat the foam, drinks too much glue. Clamp tight and it expands into the foam and adheres. That method is what’s worked for me.

Stick it in the freezer overnight. Had the same problem trying to add pigments into it. Now gives me more time to mix in some color.

It’s not catalyzed resin! Never had a problem. But I only use the white Gorilla. Lots of time. Lowel

I color, thin and even have spit in it on small batches to get it to fire off, always works and I’m gluing multiple and tbands.
I make throw away squeegees from stringer cut offs and apply it almost like stain and never get caught or have the seam fail