Greg Griffin designs

With the passing of Greg Griffin I feel it’s important to continue with his designs and pass that knowledge so that it is not lost.

I would like this post to be a discussion of his designs, passing of information from anyone who has had or currently has boards of his.
Rocker numbers, fin placement, foil thickness, rail tuck, etc
His 5 fin set up im personally the most interested in!

I have some fin placement numbers
Twin fin 5 3/4 • 1/8 toe (not sure about cant)
Hovercraft 5 1/16 - 5 (speculation,can anyone confirm?)
Quad 11 • 4 1/2 (1 1/4 from rail) (speculation, can anyone confirm?)
5 fin 10 3/4• 5- 4 3/4 (1 1/4 off rail) (center fin placement same distance as quads) (speculation, can anyone confirm?)

![image|231x500]
(upload://yyOwkKGkzzQxgdPjaSCeDyS6Gnv.jpeg)

5 Likes

From the years I spent talking to Greg, I’ve learned that he had so much knowledge about design that I’d be amazed at how he could make comments about a board just from hearing what I did and they were spot on.
I don’t think you can throw out numbers for fin placement without knowing the length and tail shape/width. The other thing is that he made his fins and they were custom designed for every board. He constantly adjusted the fin size, shape and location to get the maximum performance.
When I last talked to him about getting a replacement keel fin, he said he made his keels 1/8" smaller than what I was originally given, so I’d need to get a set.
I was looking forward to him coming back to Hawaii a couple times a year, but he passed on. RIL Greg!

3 Likes

Welcome back @sharkcountry. Good to have you here again…

Very sad when Greg died, way too early, and such a shitty way to go…

I just checked out his Instagram. Wow! I mean he posted a lot here on SWAYLOCKS, but man what a resource! Would be shame to loose all those photos for whatever reason. All that information, Greg’s board building legacy…

1 Like

Hovercraft is 5 7/8” up, 1 1/8” in from rail, 1/8” toe, 6.5 degrees for keel or three inline

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with you completely, I was just but throwing some ball park figures are better than none. What I was really hoping to get out of this is people who have his boards measuring there boards and putting that info about that board on this post (rocker numbers from a level centered on the board, 6 inches from nose and tail towards the center , fin placement and fins, rail tuck, foil flow, length, widths from at least tail block 12 inch from the tail center and 12 from nose)

Thanks for sharing that!
How long is the board and the width of the tail block and 12 inches up from the tail?

Any other info (or numbers) would be much appreciated

I loved looking at his website board pictures. Inspirational.
I just recently gave away a reference board of his, a 6-2 5 fin. Hated to do it but it was time to share his design approach with some young shapers.

All the best

Damn, well someone’s gotta have a board of his to reference on here. Let us know if you get any from the person you have it too!

In 2019, Greg made me a 5-fin 6’2 shortboard as a step-up. Here are numbers in inches for this 6’2:

6’2, 12 3/8, 19 1/4, 14 3/8. 2 3/8 thickness. 1 1/8 deep swallow tail.

Rocker:
N 5”, 6N 2 15/16, 12N 1 1/2, 24N 5/16
T 1 7/8, 6T 1 1/4, 12T 11/16, 24T 3/16

Trailers:
4 7/8 from tail. 1 1/16 from rail apex. 1/8 toe, 5* cant, 3 3/8 height, 3 5/16 base. Outer trailers are flat foiled, middle symmetrical.

Mains
11 from tail. 1 1/8 from rail apex. 1/4 toe, 6* cant, 4 5/8 height, 4 3/8 base. Flat foiled.

Hey thanks so much for sharing all of that!
That’s what we are looking for!

Question about the the back fin placement is that measurement to back of the fin base or the dot on the foam?

The measurement is for tail to the back of the trailer fin base as seen in the first photo.

Forgot to mention flat bottom and hard rails tail to nose!

Thank you so much!
Hope more share

5’1” hovercraft 20 wide
Will get the rest of details

1 Like

Also are those fin placement measurements from the where the fin trailing edge is or from the fin placement mark dot on the under the glass?

Trailing edge of fins,

1 Like

Here are numbers for a 5’6 Modfish:

5’6”, 14”, 20”, 15 7/8”, 2 3/8” thick. 2 7/8” deep swallow, 9” between swallow tips.

Rocker
N 4 3/4”, 6N 2 9/16”, 12N 1 1/4”, 18N 5/8”, 24N 3/16”
T 1 7/16”, 6T 7/8”, 12T 1/2”, 18T 1/4”, 24T 1/8”

Trailers
4 7/8” tail tip to fin base rear. Base rear 15/16” in from rail apex. 3/16” toe, 7* cant. 3 5/8” fin height, 3 1/2” fin base. Flat foils on outer fins, symmetrical center.

Mains
10 3/4” rail tip to fin base rear. Base rear 1 1/8” in from rail apex. 1/4” toe, 7* cant. 4 5/8” fin height, 4 1/2 fin base. Flat foiled.

Flat bottom, hard rails tail to nose.

A mind blowing design from Greg. Have enjoyed three of them.

2 Likes

Thanks [Cosmogenic] for all the info on those two boards that’s great informations. Keeping his designs alive!
Look forward to more posting stats on boards of his they have!

Any numbers on rail tuck and apex on rail? At center

For the 5’6 modfish:
At wide point, 1/2” tuck, rail apex 5/8” up from flat bottom.
At tail, between trailers and front fins, 1/4” tuck, rail apex 3/8” up from flat bottom.